1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Problem while trying to install XP

Greetings.

So I have this Asus Eee PC 1001HA (not mine) that I needed to format and reinstall XP. The deal is that the laptop does not have a CD or floppy drive. I forgot about that when I formatted the HDD, and after rebooting it, it only shows me one message: "REBOOT AND SELECT PROPER BOOT DEVICE OR INSERT BOOT MEDIA IN SELECTED BOOT DEVICE AND PRESS ANY KEY".

The XP installation is there in the disk, but it won't recognize it, and I don't know what to do. I can access the HDD using a SATA to USB adapter, but I just can't make out what needs to be done.

Could someone help me?

*EDIT*
    I can't access the boot menu or anything at all from the Eee, it just goes black and gives me that message.
    Last edited by Aluaji; September 22nd, 2012 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Adding some more info
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Did you use the builtin Recovery method (F9) to perform the XP reinstall or did you use an external method?
    Do you know how to get into the BIOS/CMOS of that device?
    here is a LINK that should help with troubleshooting that netbook.
  5. No Profile Picture

Well, I managed to get into the BIOS. Now I'm getting additional problems (figures). Managed to start installing XP again, only to get an error on hal.dll the first time, and now a Blue Screen during the second install, error 0x0000007B. This operation is a nightmare. Is there no way to install XP on the HDD using another laptop? That would probably make things easier.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

0x0000007B is "inaccessible boot device".

XP doesnt have builtin support for AHCI-mode SATA harddrives, so, you need to go into the BIOS and make sure you have it set to use IDE instead of AHCI (or be able to press F6 and load the XP SATA drivers).

1. On the 1005hab model, its F2 to get into BIOS [1001ha should be same].
    2. Once in BIOS, goto "Advanced" tab, then, "IDE configuration".
    3. change "ATA/IDE Configuration" to Enhanced, then "Configure SATA as" to IDE.
    4. press F10 to save those settings....and see if it'll boot from the HDD aftewards.
    Last edited by DonR; September 23rd, 2012 at 12:22 PM.
  9. No Profile Picture

Ok, I tried that and at least it's showing me something else:

"Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.
    Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware.
    Please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information."

I wonder, if the installation didn't work, what good would come out of booting from the HD? After it started giving me this error, it just won't allow me to do anything else.

*EDIT*

Actually, I'm being able to proceed to the installation. If it goes bad, I'll say something. Thanks

*EDIT2*
    Finished installing XP, managed to get in the OS. Afterwards, I restarted and it's telling me "Error loading operating system".
    Ugh, one after another.

*FINAL EDIT*
    Well, that particular problem came from a damaged set of setup files, fixed that one up and it's working! Thanks a million

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo