1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Unhappy Tweaking REGEDIT for WINXP - IE - How do I change the default search engine to Google

EDIT Added more info:

Home XP: In IE, I like to search from my Address Bar using Google as my default search engine. However, a search engine called Yoogee has completely taken over. I got rid of Yoogee and other spywares and adwares with AdAware, as a result: I am no longer able to search from my Address Bar. Example: I type "chocolate" in my Address Bar and I get http:///?%20chocolate and "Cannot find server - The page can not be displayed". When I type two words and I get http:///?%20example%20example.

I've tried a few regedit tweaks, but they didn't work. I've tried resetting my Internet Options. I've tried to reinstall IE, but it won't install because I already have the latest version. I tried uninstalling IE, but I can't find it through the search, explorer, or in "Add/Remove Programs". I'd like to return Google as my rightful search engine: I'd like to search from my Address Bar again. How can I do this? Thanks!
    Last edited by PrayciousAnjel; December 1st, 2003 at 07:13 PM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

you will have to remove the spyware then you should be able to reset the prefference back to google. see if it will look up spybot or adaware for you, use the symptom to find the cure.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Spybot will reset the search engine default for you.
  7. No Profile Picture

I'm sorry. I neglected to explain the methods I've already tried. I used AdAware to remove spywares, adwares and stuff, but I still have the same problem. And spybot freezes up on my computer. See original post for more info.
    Last edited by PrayciousAnjel; December 1st, 2003 at 07:16 PM.
  9. No Profile Picture

Smile

hi

that is so very simple just rightclick INTERNET EXPLORER(IE) and then you will be promt to INTERNET PROPERTIES, on the ADRESS BAR just type the site you wanted to be the default of your brower and then after doing it just click APPLY and then OK.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo