1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Typing in Google search box is sluggish

This started about 3 months ago. I am running Windows XP and my computer has always ran very fast. But this new problem started and it is driving me crazy. This only happens when I am in Google trying to type something in the search box. Turns out it is happening to my mother and a neighbor too. I am using Internet Explorer. When I bring up Google for a search and I start typing in the box, sometimes only 3 letters will show up that I have typed, and then maybe 5 seconds later more will show up. Sometimes it is if I hadn't even typed a letter and nothing shows up. When I am using MIcrosoft Word, there is no latency or sluggishness when I type or any other program that requires use of the keyboard. Like right now, I type and every letter shows up when I type it.

I have contacted my ISP and they say there is no problem with my internet speed. I regularly clear my temporary internet files. Any suggestions?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Try disabling Google Instant.

You could also try not using Internet Explorer.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Keyborad problem

Can I know which type of keyboard you're using?

Anyway try to clear the cache, %TEMP% & temp folders
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I use a Gateway keyboard that is an Anykey keyboard. It is a Ps2. I thought about that might be a factor. But I don't want to give it up because I use it for all of the macros.

I routinely clear my temp files, but I did disable the Google instant. That has helped quite a bit.
  9. Automagically Delicious
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

yeah, it definitely would NOT be the keyboard itself. Google Instant is probably more the case. I'd suspect some plug-in or driver on the back end might be the case, too. Also, if your internet connection is a big sluggish it might cause a lag in the instant popup to come up.
    Adam TT
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

In the process of turning off the Google Instant, and investigating preferences, I came across the ability to reset Internet Explorer 8 to factory settings. I did that and it is working much better. No lag on typing in Google.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo