1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Upgrade to windows 8

I'm a windows 7 user (home premium). I want to upgrade to windows 8 now, which is - as I understand - possible.

Over the last 2 year however, my licence sticker on the back of the laptop has faded. So the question is, do I need to enter that Win 7 key at some point during the upgrade process to win8? If yes, how can I retrieve my rubbed off key?
  3. Transforming Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Nope. My experience was that I used the Win8 Upgrade Advisor to check my Win7 and then buy the upgrade (~$40 for a bit longer). Then I opted to get the .ISO, burned it to a DVD, and did a clean installation (which I recommend).

Even if you did need the key there are plenty of tools available that could recover it - Google for, like, "windows 7 recover activation key". Actually you should probably grab it now just in case something happens and you need to revert.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I dont want the clean install for several reasons.

Anyway, I googled that already before posting my question. It turns out that most of those programs come with trojan horses worms or whatever.

So before installing such a software to get my key I was just wondering if any of you guys installed the upgrade already and if he was asked during installation to enter the Win7 key or not. If that is not needed anyway I can go ahead and install it without any risk of visuses
  7. Transforming Moderator

Huh. My search results put pcsupport.about.com as the second result, which links to their list of "product key finder" programs.

As for strictly upgrading I couldn't tell you from personal experience. Searching around suggests that it's only needed if you want to get the "I recently bought a Win7 machine and want the Win8 upgrade" deal. I don't remember needing a key in previous upgrades either - the fact that it was installed was enough.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

But then thats exactly the deal I got.
    "I bougth the win7 machine and want upgrade to win8". Whicht then means, if I got yuur post right, that I need the key.

Googled tons of sites, no clear answer anywhere. Probably I just have to take the risk.
  11. Transforming Moderator

To be clear: you bought a pre-fab machine with Windows 7 sometime since June or July (I forget which)? Then yes, many people have reported needing their Win7 key to claim the discount.
    For the actual act of upgrading, no you don't need it. To buy the upgrade at the on-sale-but-not-for-much-longer price, no you don't need it.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo