1. No Profile Picture
    Dim Brendan as Noob
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Upgrading Windows Bypass 1 Computer Rule?

I have a socket 939 computer that I build. I bought windows vista ultimate for it. I want to upgrade it to an AM3 but I know if I do this windows will not work anymore because it will detect it as a different computer.

What if I swap out the mobo and processor and RAM, re-install Vista without registering it, then buy windows 7 upgrade and upgrade it THEN register it. Would that work?

Thank you.
  3. Blowing up trees with my mind.
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Originally Posted by Brendan.C
    I have a socket 939 computer that I build. I bought windows vista ultimate for it. I want to upgrade it to an AM3 but I know if I do this windows will not work anymore because it will detect it as a different computer.

What if I swap out the mobo and processor and RAM, re-install Vista without registering it, then buy windows 7 upgrade and upgrade it THEN register it. Would that work?

Thank you.
    Just call Microsoft, you have an installation id/prod key, and it only takes a few minutes. Unless you're not using a legit copy.

Comments on this post

• brianbak agrees : Process is very easy as long as you can understand them from india.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Dim Brendan as Noob

Originally Posted by Veamon
    Just call Microsoft, you have an installation id/prod key, and it only takes a few minutes. Unless you're not using a legit copy.
    It's a legit copy (hence why I want to make sure I can get by this! lol, these things aren't cheap)

Don't I have to pay $50 to even talk with microsoft though?
  7. Transforming Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

The activation process will give you a 1800 number to activate Windows (it's the "activate over the telephone" process, really) if it doesn't accept the key you give. Tell the person on the other end that you replaced some hardware and that Windows wants to be reactivated.

I had to do that twice and they didn't have any problems with it.

Comments on this post

• jzd agrees : Same here
  9. No Profile Picture
    Dim Brendan as Noob

So I finally upgraded my computer. I installed windows and when I went to activate, it said that my version was already in use by someone else. As mentioned above it did give me an activation phone number which was all automated. Even though it was automated when I completed the process it activated my windows fine. I didn't even have to talk to anyone.

Thanks again for the replies.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo