1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Using Outlook Express knocks off Verizon connectivity

I have a friend who has been using their Windows XP computer and Outlook Express for a long time with no problems. He has a Gmail account and is using the gmail settings in that account with OE. They recently went away and all of a sudden if they tried to use the OE to send mail, it would turn off the connectivity with their Verizon broadband card (not actually a card, it uses a USB port). So would anyone know why this would happen? The Verizon people said he needed an upgrade of his OE. Now that that person is back at home, it is still disconnecting the internet. I attempted to send an email and the connection ends. I looked at the advanced settings and he is not using 25 for the outgoing, I believe he is using 465. I suggested he just use Gmail, but he is an older gentleman and learning new ways to attach, etc is a bit too much for him. So in summary, all was well until he left home, his Verizon card did some updates along the way and now he has lost a function he used previously. Thank you.

PS: I still use Outlook Express myself, so I know it isn't the program, probably some setting within it.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

I'm not sure where the setting is, but it sounds like OE may be trying to dial out a connection; even though it's already connected through Verizon. Take a look here and see if that helps.
  5. 'fie' on me, allege-dly
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Tools->Options->Connection then uncheck hang up after send/recieve
    --Ax
    without exception, there is no rule ...
    Handmade Irish Jewellery
    Targeted Advertising Cookie Optout (TACO) extension for Firefox
    The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    Detavil - the devil is in the detail, allegedly, and I use the term advisedly, allegedly ... oh, no, wait I did ...
    BIT COINS ANYONE

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo