1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Weird: bad sectors with Windows, no problems with Ubuntu Linux

Although I primarily use Ubuntu on my systems, I've had Windows installed on one for Flight Simulator X.

The weird thing is that recently the Windows installations have had problems with bad sectors, eventually to the point where chkdsk can't repair the problem and the OS has to be restored. This occurred first under Vista and then Windows 7, under different installations. I wasn't terribly concerned about data loss due to a failing hard drive because the system was backed up, so I continued to use it.

Recently I decided to install Ubuntu (with ext4 file system). I've been using it for a few weeks now and have checked the disk for bad sectors using seatools (by now Windows would have had at least some problems) and haven't had a single problem with bad sectors. EDIT: and the problem didn't occur in Windows for quite some time.

Does anybody know if this could simply be due to the ext4 file system? I'm trying to figure out why Windows would have this problem while Linux doesn't.

Thanks.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I'd say it more likely that the problem simply hasn't occurred yet.

When you replaced the filesystem, information about which sectors are bad was lost to the operating system. There's a good chance that those sectors failing is a random occurrence, and if they haven't failed again then your new operating system simply hasn't been able to detect that they are bad yet.

You may want to check the SMART status of the disk if you haven't already.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

I would agree with Oreo. Run the manufacturer's diagnostic tool (available from the HDD MFG's website) and it should tell you what, if anything, is wrong with the drive.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by seack79
    I would agree with Oreo. Run the manufacturer's diagnostic tool (available from the HDD MFG's website) and it should tell you what, if anything, is wrong with the drive.
    As I said in the post above, I ran seatools (long test) and there wasn't a single problem reported.

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    I'd say it more likely that the problem simply hasn't occurred yet.
    I would agree if I didn't know how it had behaved under Windows leading up to this. The problem would have appeared several times by now, requiring using seatools to fix the bad sectors then a chkdsk -r to get Windows running again.

Thanks again.

EDIT: here are the results from a SMART test, if that might be of any help: pastebin[DOT]com/XK09U1x9

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo