1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Win XP 32 bit vs 64 bit advantages?

I am in a terrible mood as my Packers just lost and Favre looks to be hurt pretty bad so I'm looking for a quick yes/no answer.

I just got a new laptop, I can get Win xp 32 or 64 bit from school for like 6 bucks, my processor is 64 bit, should I install Win xp 64? What advantages besides the ability to have an inordinate amount of system memory is there from going 64 bit? I'm assuming I will have to go to all new 64 bit application software as well if I make the switch. Is it worth it? Thanks in advance and sorry I don't feel like searching for my answer at this moment.

Ohh and Vista basic 32 bit is installed but bleh, that's getting taken off asap.
  3. Trapped on the forums...help
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

32-bit generally has better driver support, and a fewer bugs, though from what i hear the driver support in 64-bit has come a long way and just about everything will be fine, all the stuff that came with your computer should be fine with windows XP 64-bit, its the cheap no-name stuff from wal-mart that will generally lack drivers

for the advantages of 64-bit, well number one is the RAM support, if your system has more then 3GB of RAM its pretty much a requirement to have a 64-bit OS, if you don't you won't be able to access all or your RAM (how much can be used depends on devices installed), 64-bit is also slightly faster then 32-bit, this is not because its 64-bit, but because the 64-bit specs calls for some other features that do significantly enhance performance

however to get this boost your application must be running the 64-bit version of the application (for windows this generally means you used the special 64-bit installer, or it detected it), the vast majority of apps on a windows box are not going to be a 64-bit version and you will see no difference, many CPU intensive apps (like games and pro apps) however will install a 64-bit application, and they will see a boost of 5-20%
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks for the reply. My laptop is a Dell so I feel fairly confident in their driver support. I think I will give the 64 bit a shot. I might as well, it is really nice to be able to get both 32 bit and 64 bit Win xp cds for 6 bucks through school. I have 2 GB of RAM at the moment so I don't absolutely have to have the 64 bit OS. My main concern was that I had to run all 64 bit application software but from what I understand of your post, I can have some 64 and some 32.
  7. Blowing up trees with my mind.
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Originally Posted by MRAB54
    I am in a terrible mood as my Packers just lost and Favre looks to be hurt pretty bad so I'm looking for a quick yes/no answer.
    At least you got to see it.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I had to make a visit to the local drinking establishment to see the game, damn you NFL Network!

But in case anyone else is wondering about this, I found this white paper with a lot of good info about going to 64 bit.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/B/8/6/B868C664-13FC-4F91-9651-5B6D4F1A2F60/Is_Windows_XP_Professional_x64_Edition_Right_for_Me.doc
  11. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I had nothing but trouble with X64. I got it to run 64 bit music software, which worked fine, but half my music related hardware didn't work at all or worked poorly under X64. Some softsynths were very unhappy as well. I'd also wonder how well some games would work under it, I never even tried that.

Comments on this post

• Xenus agrees
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  13. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

I agree with medialint on this one, the only x64 install I use is at work, however I remember when we got it (and it's a dell too, I believe a Precision 670 series) it caused nothing but trouble. We had a lot of difficulty getting drivers even from Dell for their own hardware and much of our production software needed to be re-purchased in their 64-bit forms (i.e. at the time we had Creative Suite CS throughout the office, we had to get CS2 for that computer).

I personally wouldn't recommend it, it doesn't seem worth the trouble.

Good choice on immediately deciding to ditch Vista, though.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo