1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Win XP Pro webserver/datavase permissions problem

I'm setting up a web server under IIS 5.0, that comes with Windows NT 5.1.2600.0000 (xpclient.010817-1148). I'm using ASP and some databases in MS Access. However, I want to make it possible for users to access the webpage, which means execution of the database files. But I don't want users to be able to modify them, I don't even want users to even be able to download the databases. I just want to make it possible for the IIS server to execute the databases, and that's it.

So, I set up special NTFS permissions for the folder, but when I run the page, it's only possible to execute the website (execute the databases) when I allow Read, Write and Execution access to the folder, which means that if I just disallow write access, it won't work!!!

I'm sure this can be done, I'm extremely sure. So if anybody here knows some more about NTFS permissions, please help me out here. Tell me how can I do this, or if I should change the database access, tell me which Database server can help me avoid this, and if I can convert my databases from access to that server (please don't tell me SQL server, it's way too expensive).

Thanks for any help.

rick
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

convert to mysql - itīs free

if you want a quicker solution: iis runs as a special user. look in "administration/services/internet www services" (sorry i donīt know the exact english names) who it is (IUSR_..??XX$§")

then allow this user to access your database. it will not be shared over the web automatically (unless somebody boīs you )

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo