Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I have the same problem with Pictureviewer. I'm running Win2k on a windows NT network. When a user (normal user rights) tries to open an image (GIF, JPG, doesn't matter) they get an error trying to open the file. If I do the same operation as administrator everything works fine...

I know it has something to do with permissions in the registry. If you go into regedt32, find the specific extension, select permissions and add everyone to the list. Once you reboot the user can look view those images in pictureviewer. Is there a way to let the user look at all image formats without having to edit the registry??

~Matt
  3. Wiking
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Don't think so, I'm afraid...
    The hard part is to find all registry keys which are manipulated, but one idea is to get the regmon program from sysinternals and run that while you install the application. Regmon monitors all registry activity, which means you can track every change that is being made. You still have to manually edit them though, but at least you know which ones...

//NoXcuz
    UN*X is sexy!
    who | grep -i blonde | date; cd ~; unzip; touch; strip; finger; mount; gasp; yes; uptime; umount; sleep
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thank NoXcuz! I think that regmon program will come in very handy! It's not the fix I'd like, but it's better than where my users are right now. Thanks again!
  7. Wiking
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Beware that the log files are no fun to read though...
    Try and stop all services, close all unecessary programs etc, as that helps keeping the logfiles smaller. I think you can also filter out reads/writes in the program.

//NoXcuz
    UN*X is sexy!
    who | grep -i blonde | date; cd ~; unzip; touch; strip; finger; mount; gasp; yes; uptime; umount; sleep
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo