1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Windows 2000 neverending Pop Ups

I loaded Windows 2000 like 2 months ago and had no problems (except sound but thats a whole other issue) until I recently purchased Charter Pipeline internet service. Almost the exact moment I got connected to Pipeline Pop Up messages started to bombard my screen one at a time like every 3 minutes. It claims to be built into Windows 2000 and I can't get rid of it until I go to www.messagestop.net or other links it gives me and purchase an expensive product. I want these things gone asap. Can you please help me? Thank you.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Assuming the popups say something like "windows messenger" in the window title, you need a firewall that blocks port 135. Someone figured out how to spam using the windows messenger service (not MSN Messenger) a few months ago.

You can mask the problem by turning off the windows messenger service. In W2K open the control panel, administrative tools, services and locate the Messenger service. Stop it, and optionally set it's startup to Manual.

Also check for spyware & such which do other popups. Spybot S&D is a good free tool to remove spyware.

You really need a firewall if you have a full-time internet connection. It may be worth it to get an inexpensive cable/dsl router just for the built-in NAT firewall.
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks

Thank you. I turned off the messenger service and switched it to manual and it seems to have worked. I will definitely look into buying a firewall. Thanks
  7. Bad Andy

Someone figured out how to spam using the windows messenger service (not MSN Messenger) a few months ago.
    Ooo nice inside advice! I did not know that.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

I'm always happy to kill spam Here is a bit more on the subject.

http://www.its.caltech.edu/its/secur...essenger.shtml
  11. No Profile Picture

New problem :(

ok, you have been very helpful with the last topic but I have another issue with this computer. It all started about 2 years ago when I hooked up our ethernet network card. I did that so that my brother and I could play games vs each other in our home. Ever since then I have had these annoying vertical lines all over my computer. They make watching videos and playing games virtually impossible. It completely screws up the picture. We took out our Ethernet card a long time ago and we are no longer connected to the network. Still, the lines remain. How can I fix this problem? thank you.

Also, if you can solve this problem, I have a big big big problem with my sound that other experts on this site couldn't fix. If your up for that one too, I would appreciate it. Thanks.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

You might want to start another topic for the new problem, since it has nothing to do with popups.
  15. No Profile Picture

Talking Windows Messenger

THANK YOU!
    I have successfully turned off the windows messenger service.
    Now can you help me with firewalls 101, or tell me where to go look? I don't have a clue about what they do, how they work, etc.

Thanks very much for your help.
  17. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

There are several free firewalls you can download. I use ZoneAlarm from www.zonelabs.com.
    A firewall is a program that looks at all the traffic in and out of your computer, in order to prevent malicious things from being done. (Cracking, trojans, etc). It should block all ports on the computer, unless told otherwise. http://www.firewallguide.com/faq.htm has some more info on firewalls
    HTH
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

if you dont like zonealarm for some reason, try kerio, it dont suck up any system resources to speak of and is free also.
    http://www.kerio.com/us/kpf_home.html
  21. No Profile Picture

Sound You Say

I notice that you have mentioned that you had a problem with sound.. but said that it was a nother problem. I am having a real head-ache with my sound..
    might you know why I'm not able to get my sound to work.
    When I try to install it all I get is "The device is not configured correctly. (Code 1)"
    Whats up with that?
  23. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

This thread is both old and about something completely different. Next time, post your own question. As for the question (as you would know if you had tried google...) that error means your drivers are bad/old/not installed. Re-install the newest drivers for the (I assume) sound card.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo