1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Windows 7 x64 slowdowns

Hi all, I'm experiencing slowdowns these days, and the slowdowns are not seen in every aspect of the OS, it's quite hard to explain, so if you have questions, feel free to ask.

The system has been freshly reinstalled with Windows 7 x64 on my brand new Samsung PRO 840 256Gb about 2 months ago and was running very well until 2013-03-19.

System setup

First of all, I want to write my system setup, so you can see it's clearly not a 'not powerful enough' system. So here we go;

Motherboard : Asus P8Z68 Deluxe
    CPU : Intel 2500K
    Memory : Corsair Vengeance 16Gb
    Video Card : 2 x Zotac nVidia 550 Ti (SLI)
    Primary drive (OS) : Samsung PRO 840 256Gb SSD
    Secondary drive (User data) : Corsair Force 3 128Gb SSD
    3rd drive (Storage) : WD Black 500Gb

This setup was used for about a year, but with the Corsair Force 3 as the primary drive for the OS and was running right. I purchased the Samsung PRO 840 to get more space for my OS, it has been running fine until yesterday.

I don't think it's 'hardware related'.

Optimization

After installation, I'm always doing some optimization and some fine-tuning. The main thing I do is to move the system pagefile from the main OS drive to the User data drive and move all my family users folders (5) to the User data drive too. So when I have to reinstall, I don't have to bother about those folders.

Problem

So here we are, my current issue. My system is experiencing a kind of 'lag'. I have an installer on my desktop for Adobe Photoshop, 700Mb total. When I double-click, the Window explorer windows hangs for about 30 minutes until I could see the installer window appear. I can still use the computer on other windows, but this one is frozen.

On a folder on the desktop, I have about 150 pictures of about 1Mb each, when I open them, it takes a whole minute to show up. The picture viewer opens and it says 'Loading' for about a minute.

What I did so far

I opened up the Task Manager, and nothing is abnormal on that window. Everything seems just fine, the CPU usage goes from 0% to 25% here and there, memory usage is between 2 and 3Gb.

I did a complete Microsoft Security Essentials scan and a complete Malware Bytes PRO scan, nothing was detected.

Need help please

Anyone has any idea on what I could do to detect the 'problem', on what could be the issue?

I can still use the computer, but it hangs here and there for things that should not be hanging like that.

Is there a software I could use to monitor or anything else I could do?

Thanks a lot to all of you.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

UPDATE : I don't know but, it seems to be doing this on 'compressed' files. Ex.: anti-virus takes long time to scan ZIP, RAR and ISO files.

Correct me if I'm wrong but, are JPG compressed files too in some way?

The installer file, which is a EXE file, is in fact a kind of ZIP file too, no?
  5. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

It sounds like a disk IO issue to me.

Neither ISO nor EXE files are inherently compressed, although they could contain some compressed data. Almost all image formats employ compression of some sort, because uncompressed image data is massive and very repetitive.

In the Task Manager on the Performance tab you can open up the Resource Monitor which gives you more detailed statistics. The metrics that you're interested in will be on the Disk tab: Response Time (ms) and Disk Queue Length. Watch those when you open the installer file and see what happens. Response time should be low-hundreds at most. If it's higher, it usually indicates either a hardware problem with the drive or a driver problem.

Another thing to try would be moving the installer to one of your other disks and then trying to execute it from there.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks for your answer. I'm lookin at the 'Response Time' on the Disk tab inside Resource Monitor.

I see that response time is switching between 80 to 200, nothing special. Disk Queue Length is not that high either, between 0 and 3.00.

But when MS Security Essentials arrived on a ISO file, Response time was near 50,000, but I didn't saw Disk Queue Length.

When I clicked that big 700Mb EXE file, nothing really changed in those row.

One thing I noticed is this under 'Disk Activity', it happens here and there, appearing and disappearing;

Image : System
    PID : 4
    File : F:\$Mft (NTFS Master File Table)
    Read (B/sec) : 0
    Write (B/sec) : 410
    Total (B/sec) : 410
    I/O Priority : Normal
    Response Time (ms) : 60,378

Is that normal?
  9. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

Check the windows event logs for any clues
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Ok, an update on this, I figured out what was happening and was able to get all this behind me.

Like I said, all my users folders, temp folders and windows temp folders were on my 2nd SSD drive (Corsair Force 3 128Gb).

After taking a drive speed test utility, I saw that my main SSD (Samsung PRO 840 256Gb) was really fast, that my WD Black 500Gb was fast too (slow compared to the Samsung SSD, but that's another story...) and that my 2nd SSD was slow..., slow has hell, 10 times slower than my WD Black drive, so something was wrong with it.

I remapped all users folders to my WD Black drive, then moved users temp folder and windows temp folders to that same drive and then disconnected my 2nd SSD drive. Since then, everything is ok and fast.

That explain why when I clicked on my 700Mb install EXE file, it took nearly 30 minutes to popup, the windows temp folder was on that drive, so it extracted there in a temp folder, and the drive was slower that 1Mb/s, that was horrible.

During the move proccess I had to reboot about 10 times since the computer crashed here and there and that the 2nd SSD drive got disconnected by Windows itself here and there too.

Thanks for helping me.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

Thanks for updating this thread!
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Out of curiosity, what drive speed test utility did you use?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo