1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Windows Movie Maker doesn't open properly on a different computer

I have built a Windows Movie Maker file on my computer. I save the project as the MSWMM file. When I quit the program and reopen it, I am right back where I was. It will also create a WMV file. I have saved the MSWMM file to a thumb drive and tried to open it on another computer, but it will not open with the videos. The only part that will show is the fact there is time showing for the video, there is just no video or audio. The inserted titles are there.

So I thought maybe I also have to have the video files in the same folder, so I moved all of the original videos (avi files) to the thumb drive too in the same folder. Still it will not open as the full project file so I can edit it. I suspect this is not a Movie Maker problem, but something having to do with how Windows recognizes files.

Any suggestions?
  3. Providing fuel for space ships
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Did you only try to open the file on one different machine ? Could be that you need to install the correct codecs on the separate Windows machine.
    The No Ma'am commandments:

1.) It is O.K. to call hooters 'knockers' and sometimes snack trays
    2.) It is wrong to be French
    3.) It is O.K. to put all bad people in a giant meat grinder
    4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
    5.) It is O.K. to drive a gas guzzler if it helps you get babes
    6.) Everyone should car pool but me
    7.) Bring back the word 'stewardesses'
    8.) Synchronized swimming is not a sport
    9.) Mud wrestling is a sport
  5. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I suspect it's the way WMM manages the files, either they have to be registered in the "Windows Live Photo Gallery" by importing them and/or it probably references the full path. Unfortunately I don't have any good answers. Google keeps pointing to various answers.com Q&As that repeatedly insist that what you're trying to do cannot be done (such as this "answer"), I don't really believe that but it seems that WMM is not going to do it easily.

I would test the path theory by creating a very simple movie with only a clip or two in it and make sure the files are in a reproducible simple path (such as c:\vidtest) then copy the same files to your usb drive and then create and copy into an identical c:\vidtest folder on the destination computer and then try opening the project file. If that works, you have a solution for your larger project.
    Last edited by medialint; March 15th, 2012 at 06:48 PM.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo