1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Windows service losing password configuration

Hi,

I have a windows service running on Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition, SP1. The service is setup with a start-up type of "Automatic", and to log on as a specified local user account, which is a member of the Administrators group, and has a password set to never expire. After a system reboot, the service often fails to start. When attempting to restart the service manually, I get a message that the stored password is incorrect. I then go into the service properties, re-type the password into the appropriate fields, click OK, and attempt to restart the service manually again. Now it starts ok. What might be the cause of the password being lost and needing to be reset like this on a reboot?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
  3. No Profile Picture

How to fix windows service fail to start on reboot password fail

This is probably occurring because:

1. You are using a Domain Account as the user to run the service as
    2. Your default domain policy (or another GPO) have explicitly listed which users are granted the “Login as service” right (and user from #1 is not in that list)

I created a post on how to fix this at:

brakertech.com/windows-service-lost-password/

Comments on this post

• AdamPI disagrees : I'm only going to disagree with you here because the post is over 3 years dead. I should warn you for the link and will if it becomes an issue. Please read the rules.
  5. No Profile Picture

I have a windows service running on Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition, SP1. The service is setup with a start-up type of "Automatic", and to log on as a specified local user account, which is a member of the Administrators group, and has a password set to never expire. After a system reboot, the service often fails to start. When attempting to restart the service manually, I get a message that the stored password is incorrect. I then go into the service properties, re-type the password into the appropriate fields, click OK, and attempt to restart the service manually again. Now it starts ok. What might be the cause of the password being lost and needing to be reset like this on a reboot?
    For this event of failed authentication, a log should be generated in Event Viewer.
    Can you please let us know the exact error message it reported in your Event Viewer ?
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by ssstonebraker
    This is probably occurring because:

1. You are using a Domain Account as the user to run the service as
    2. Your default domain policy (or another GPO) have explicitly listed which users are granted the “Login as service” right (and user from #1 is not in that list)

I created a post on how to fix this at:

brakertech.com/windows-service-lost-password/
    Thanks for the link

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo