1. dont click here
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

windows startup scripts

how can i create a startup script for
    Win 2K, Win Xp Pro n Home

What i need is to uncheck the "Resuse Windows for Launching Shortcuts" in IE>Tools> Internet Options>Advanced

i need to do this on over 400 pcs so i was thinkin of creating a startup script and distributing it to all the pcs to launch once. is this possible.
    quick fixs are never solutions
    Ritesh's Corner
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Well the way I have found is to make a batch file to call regedit and have regedit insert a registry entry into the registry. Something like so...

--start startup.bat--

@echo off
    cls
    REGEDIT /S regtweak.reg
    goto EOF
    :EOF

--end startup.bat--

--start regtweak.reg--

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
    "AllowWindowReuse"=dword:00000000

--end regtweak.reg--

**Notes**
    dword:00000000 = New Window
    dword:00000001 = existing window
    Also, regtweak.reg and startup.bat have to be in the same directory for it to work or else at the REGEDIT /S line you will have to enter the path to the registry script if in a different directory than the batch file.

I'm only assuming that you are running a domain so you can create a GPO and link it to that logon script for all 400 pc's.

Good luck!
    "I dislike duals. If a man were to challenege me to a dual, i'd lead him lovingly and forgivingly to a quiet place, and kill him" ~Mark Twain
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Scripting IE Settings

I used VBScript and WSH to create a script which modified the Temporary files in IE explorer.

Here is the URL to the script http://computerperformance.co.uk/ezine/ezine8.htm

What I was thinking is you could modify the script to your situation. The main point of the reference is the technique to script changes in IE or other interfaces.
    Guy Thomas
    Ezine http://computerperformance.co.uk/ezine/newsletter_subs.htm

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo