1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Exclamation Windows XP out of array or allignment?

I need to know from you good people if Windows XP has been poison-pilled to go bad purposely, to force folks into Windows 7 or 8? Or if this is an issue with my desktop.

I have a Gateway e4100 tower. I bought one off e-bay last October. Ran fine until something odd occurred around April 2nd. My desktop display, my browser windows, everything began to display on a slant. Like if you take a hair comb? And place it on a dresser the the wide-straight-across way? Instead of the narrow-straight-up way? And then you were to slowly push the left side of that comb with your finger, until the comb has gone from wide-straight across, to tilted or diagonal? That's how everything appears in my windows Xp display right now.

This is the weirdest OS issue I've had to deal with in a decade. I've bought 3 replacement e4100 units and they all have the same issue! I thought it could be my hard drive so I switched out drives, and the issue persists. I switched out my crt monitor for a flat screen, issue is still there. I thought it could be a video card issue, but could the video cards be bad in 3 different PC towers? That would be some really bad luck no? Especially considering I've bought all 3 from different e-bay sellers. And the one I got today, is on a PCI card instead of the intel on board graphics chipset. So can anyone properly diagnose this problem for me? What is going on here?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I don't know a solution to your problem, but your first statement is not true.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  5. No Profile Picture

Exclamation

It was more of a suspicion than an accusation. But this problem I am having is so strange that I am out of ideas as to why it's happening.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Could you post a photo of what you're seeing so we can take a look at it? No offense, but what you're describing doesn't really make much sense, and seems rather hard to believe given the amount of hardware you've switched out. Maybe a photo would help clue us in to what is going on.
  9. No Profile Picture

Exclamation

I'm a noob so can't post screenshots yet. Let me try and give you a more clear picture as to what's happening though. If you leave a car door hanging open? The door extends more outward the further away you get from the vehicle, correct? That's how my desktop displays right now because of this issue. The left side start menu and all, is inward. But as you go straight across the screen further to the right? My desktop, task bar, and everything extends more outward away from the screen. Just like how a car door looks when it's hanging open. It extends outward.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I'll bite, does the same thing happen if you boot into safe-mode (hit F8 continually during boot up to reach the menu)?
  13. No Profile Picture

Yes seack the problem persists in safe mode as well. I have also tested the PC is a different room with two different monitors and nothing but the mouse and keyboard plugged in and I still have the same problem show up.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

So with completely different computers, monitors, keyboard, mouse, etc....the same thing happens? I'm assuming you're using a different cable each time to connect the PC to the monitor? If that's the case I am at a loss as to what could be the problem.
  17. No Profile Picture

Exclamation

Originally Posted by seack79
    So with completely different computers, monitors, keyboard, mouse, etc....the same thing happens? I'm assuming you're using a different cable each time to connect the PC to the monitor? If that's the case I am at a loss as to what could be the problem.

No I tested the same tower that is having the problem in two different rooms with three different monitors in total. I moved the tower which is a small form tower, from the living room to one of the bed rooms. To see if any interference was the problem. But the slant issue still persisted.

I tested the tower with two different monitors in the bed room, problem was still there. Safe Moded it too, same problem. Definitely thinking it's a video card issue. I got a new PCI card today, but it's not right for my tower slots so......
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

What's the model of your computer? I can look it up and tell you exactly which type of card you'll need if that would help.
  21. No Profile Picture

Exclamation

Originally Posted by seack79
    What's the model of your computer? I can look it up and tell you exactly which type of card you'll need if that would help.

It's a Gateway e4100 small form PC tower.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Something like this should work.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo