1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Problem with Windows XP and switching motherboards.

I wasn't sure if this fit more appropriately in the Windows forum or the Motherboard one, but I figured this has a better chance of being answered here.

Anyway, here's what's happening to me at the moment:

Obviously, I'm running Windows XP on my HDD. My motherboard is a Soyo K7ADA v1.0 with a AMD 1700+ CPU and an ALi chipset. The new motherboard is a Mach Speed V400DBL with a 1900+ CPU and a VIA chipset.

I tried to put the new motherboard in and boot up my computer this weekend, but it would only get so far while booting XP, and then it would automatically shut itself down and restart, ad infinitum. Booting in Safe Mode didn't help, booting with the Last Known Good Config didn't help. However, when I boot it in Safe Mode, it shows the list of all the sys files that it tries to load, and it stops at a very specific point. The last file that comes on screen is entitled "alim1541.sys" -- as you might expect, this is a system file that's specific for the old motherboard. But, because of the way XP is designed, I can't find a config.sys file or some other obvious way to change the settings on this computer. I've tried disabling or deleting all the bus controllers and USB controllers and bridges and whatnot that were listed in my Device Manager, but those didn't make a difference. Were this Win98, it wouldn't be a thing, because I could edit the config files just enough to get around this, but XP is locked up too tight for my knowledge level.

There is only one other motherboard-specific system file that I'm aware of (aliide.sys), and it appears on the list before the other file, so I'm assuming it doesn't have any sort of conflict with the new motherboard. There are some things I haven't tried - such as installing all the new drivers and then trying to get the new one to work - largely because it's such a huge pain to switch back and forth between the two boards. And I could also do a clean Win98 install on a different HDD and then move my info over, but I really don't want to have to recertify (and pay for) XP. If any of you know how to get around this problem (or at least have an idea of what's causing this) long enough for me to be able to boot XP and get the new motherboard up and running, I'd appreciate the help. Thanks.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

welcome to windows xp,
    this is ms's attempt to stop ghosting activated copies.
    drop in the xp cd and boot up with it, either do a repair, or a install, DO NOT FORMAT and you wont loose your stuff. if this is a legal copy of xp you will have to contact them and confirm your info if you have to reactivate.
  5. No Profile Picture

I have swapped motherboards several times. The key is preparation of the old system before taking out the old motherboard.

There is a SYSPREP tool on the XP CD.

With the old motherboard still intact:

You run sysprep and "RESEAL" Windows XP.
    Then you put the new board in, and it re-activates Windows XP and populates the device manager list.
    You do need to re-activate with the same key-code, and if you exhaust that number of activations, it will prompt you to call
    Microsoft and you get a new release key at no cost from them over the phone.

If you have hardware conflicts with the new motherboard and any device, you will have extensive problems noticeable by memory dumps.

For detailed info. go to microsoft.com and do a search for 'sysprep'

Good luck
    Last edited by supatrupa; October 3rd, 2003 at 01:24 PM.
  7. No Profile Picture

Hey Supatrupa

I think I'm screwed. I had the same problem - switched mb and now it reboots at the XP start screen. So I tried the RESEAL on the old MB, transfered the hd to the new MB and it started to install and then it froze half way through. I put the HD back to the old MB and now it won't even load on that one. I can't view the HD at all!! How do I fix this?

Right now I found an old 2 Gig HD. I connected it to the new MB and I'm installing 98 and will upgrade to XP. Hopefully, I'll be able to view my 40 Gig HD as a slave (it has some data on there I'd like to get)

...but really, there has to be an easier way to upgrade a system!!!

AMD XP2600+, ASUS A7N8X-X, GeForce 5200FX, 40 Gb Maxtor, 512M Samsung Ram
  9. No Profile Picture

you can't 'see' the hard drive, becuase it is in NTFS partition most likely.

Therefore, trying to use a boot disk will not allow you to see the drive.

At this point, a complete re-install of XP should work without having to format the drive. Only be sure that it overwrites the c:\windows files when it installs. (you will see this choice appear in the installatin process, if you choose to re-install.)

**I don't think Win98 can view NTFS partitioned disks.
  11. No Profile Picture

What if its a consumer computer

Not sure if this will get attention since its an old thread but did a search and fount this post. I have a gigabyte motherboard I plan on swapping with the board in an HP computer I purchased.

Windowsxp, etc. But HP doesn't give you the windows XP CD, is there a way to reseal windows xp without the CD?

Also I know that most consumer computer's hard drives have an image applied to them, I know for a fact this one does, will that complicate matters? And is there a way around that?

I do have a new windows xp home edition that I own. Would it be better just to format hd, killing the image and reinstalling windowsxp?

Thanks
    Brian
  13. No Profile Picture

do a search on the hard drive for the file/folder
    sysprep*
    or
    sysprep.exe
  15. Default User

I would install your new copy of Windows XP. Start your new motherboard out with a fresh install of the OS.
    Last edited by DefaultUserXP; March 7th, 2004 at 02:47 AM.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo