1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

XP or 2K for Apache, PHP & MySQL

Which one can u recommend to me to run PHP, MYSQL and Apache when it comes to performance and security? And also which one supports more new software releases like anti-virus, utilities and the like. thanks a lot
  3. No Profile Picture

The most common answer you will get to your question is: None of the above! It is clear that overall Linux is more secure then windows, but that does not mean Windows is all bad. I use Windows 2000 with all of the service packs to run Apache, PHP, and MySQL for development and find it works well.
    I get the feeling that you are going to be running a "live" web server, which people across the internet will be accessing. In my opinion I would go with Windows 2000. Since it is in it's second service pack, you can be shure most of the major security flaws are taken care of and it is stable (I have found the stable part to be true, compared to 98 or XP). The security of your system also depends on the security of your network. If your network allows all requests to come through, regaurdless of what the requests are for, then you are going to have considerably more things to worry about security wise then a server running on a more secure netowrk.
    I cannot honestly answer your performance question. Again from my experience apache eats up more memory as it goes along, although I have never seen it creek above 7MB which is considerablly less then other applications. Also keep in mind XP is newer, so all of the kinks have not been worked out yet, so you may find yourself restarting more then with 2000.
    This is just my opinion, and experiences. Keep in mind you may find someone who has had a totally different experience. I hope this helped.
  5. No Profile Picture

Ok thanks for your advice, btw, can you teach me how do i know if my network has an open port? And how to close it? And also i want to know how to setup a firewall and a proxy server cuz i have heard some that it can be use in security. Any articles pertaining to that? Thanks again in advance
  7. No Profile Picture

WHOA! Time to get some books!

I use Win2k as my dev web server running apache, PHP and MySQL. It works out great; but Linux is the way to go with a production server!

The other stuff you asked about, ports, firewalls and such. Time to get some books or search the topics here for specific questions.
  9. No Profile Picture

OK thanks man. is there an online tutorial of that topic?
  11. No Profile Picture

Unfortunatly I'm responding to this question about a month early, as I'm just looking into what direction to go with network security. I've been pretty spoiled in that we had vendors take care fo our security.

I don't know of any on-line tutorials at this point. If I find some I will post back.
  13. Mobbing Gangster
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

"Best City" 2002 and 2003- Melbourne, Australia
    >>XP or 2K
    *cough*cough*
    Would you bother to describe real life difference between the two? xp isn't anything but .001 update. Next time - ask microsoft to let developers instead of graphic artists to decide when to produce new os.

As it's been mentioned, you really should not run full time working server on windows unless it is just for you and your buddies.
    And you know I mean that.
  15. No Profile Picture

Originally posted by hucker
    Ok thanks for your advice, btw, can you teach me how do i know if my network has an open port? And how to close it? And also i want to know how to setup a firewall and a proxy server cuz i have heard some that it can be use in security. Any articles pertaining to that? Thanks again in advance
    i think a good place to start is here

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo