1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Cool XP browsing internal network

I am a tech for a large company, and I have a user running XP ona laptop. HE is using bith a wired and a wireless nic. HE went to a campus notwork came back home pluged in and now he cant browse the network. He can however get to things by IP. Cant ping names, and network neighbor hood doesnt work. I tried to install ipx/spx with netbios, I also tried netbui. All the other computers can see him. I have also tried to un check the tcp/ip reboot and put the check back. Nothing seems to work.. I am real frustrated becouse if I could just unistall tcp/ip(like I could before) it would fix it, ut since I cant im lost.......anyideas???????
  3. No Profile Picture

something with dns, and domain?

that's about as much as i can do...lol
  5. No Profile Picture

Firm too small for DNS server. only four nodes
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

virus infection on the campus? (quite common )

did you check if one of the NICs is disabled in the network settings?
    I tried to install ipx/spx with netbios, I also tried netbui.
    ping ONLY works with TCP/IP! no relation to ipx/spx/netbios at all!

your company is large but only has 4 machines and is not big enough for DNS? i donīt get this one... i am using DNS even at home (2 PCs). youīll avoid a lot of other trouble too (besides the setup of a DNS server)
    He can however get to things by IP
    ok, then you IP settings are ok. no need to reinstall the network. but your workgroup/domain/dns/routing settings are not.
    one possible scenario: the DHCP server of the campus told the pc to change the workgroup/domain. unless you/he changed it back, the campus domain is still active...
    you should run dhcp too to avoid this.
    donīt say your network is not big enough. size is not the only important parameter in life
  9. No Profile Picture

yeah i have done all that. And the reason I used ipx, is becouse i have seen in the past installing it fixes some issues with XP. Its wierd I know but time and time again it fixes wierd stuff in XP. I am trying to talk him out of using XP, so hopefully after having this posted for a while I can get enough peeps telling me that ive tried everything and I can get 2k on there like it should be..LOL( I HATE XP)

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo