Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

XP Home cannot access Properties or change urls.

IE8 loads fine and goes to the home page just fine... but any url I type in to the browser line locks up everything.. I have to use CTRL alt delete everytime to get out of it...
    also I noticed that following load of home page and before typing in a new url and causing anther lockup.. I tried looking at properties and that is not accessible.. when you click it just sits there... Oh.. I am using Multimedia PC M7000 and that operating system cannot load windows 9... too old for that... other wise I would upgrade and try that... firefox and chrome works ok as far as I can tell..
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

If you open control panel and select internet options, will that come up or does it freeze also? If it does come up, go to advanced, and select the restore defaults AND the reset advanced options.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by seack79
    If you open control panel and select internet options, will that come up or does it freeze also? If it does come up, go to advanced, and select the restore defaults AND the reset advanced options.
    I don't see a control panel on my IE. I do have Tools and that drop down shows the Internet Options.. however when I click it it goes to not responding... and even if I dont' click it just simply dropping down the Tools menu locks it and goes to not responding and requires several Ctrl Alt Del to kill it...
    Also my fire fox is again going to short spruts or 10 seconds or so of not responding.. but it comes back to runnning after the 10 sec lockout..

Thanks for the suggestion.. but no help so far.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Control Panel is a separate feature in Windows, it's not built-in to Internet Explorer. Access it via the start menu. Click Start>Run> and then type inetcpl.cpl
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by seack79
    Control Panel is a separate feature in Windows, it's not built-in to Internet Explorer. Access it via the start menu. Click Start>Run> and then type inetcpl.cpl
    OK.. Thanks I learned something new....another way to access the IE control panel.

When i did that it no longer navigates to my home page... does show my homepage in the url line but will not load it...

When I went back to the control panel /connections.. it shows a blank for connections... I assume when I set it to default it removed my connections to the internet... do i Need to now try to figure out how to hook up the Inet again? or any thoughts?
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Yes it will have removed any default values you stored, such as your homepage, dial-out connections, etc... We did this step to hopefully rectify whatever was causing IE to crash on you. This is typically caused by either some sort of toolbar/add-on that was installed; or perhaps a browser helper object (BHO).

How do you normally access the internet, do you have high-speed (i.e., always on) internet service, or dial-up? If it's high-speed, it should just work.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

How do you normally access the internet, do you have high-speed (i.e., always on) internet service, or dial-up? If it's high-speed, it should just work.
    I have hi speed cox cable always on.. chrome and FF is ok but looks like I have lost all the setting for IE... as it just loads IE but never loads the IE.. but does not say "Cant find as it normally would if it had no connection.. says nothing just locks up sorat like it did before but before it loaded the page first.... I think I just need to figure out how to connect the IE back to the Inet..
    Must be some reset setting... still looking..
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If FF and Chrome work then you know the issue is isolated to IE. Open IE options again and under connections make sure you don't have anything listed in there; also click on the LAN settings tab (within connections at the bottom) and make sure you don't have a proxy listed. When you open IE it probably won't take you to a webpage at first, but see if you can get to any page after it loads.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Nope nothing in connection box..
    No proxy set for lan..

I did notice that Auto update is not working and i do not have service pack 3 installed.. will try to update that manually and see what happens

Thanks for the help...
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

What version of IE are you running? Sometimes trying to install the latest version for your operating system can repair the issue. If auto-updates and IE don't work, it sounds like you may have an annoying virus.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I have the latest version of IE8.. my hardware will not run any version higher than IE8....
    I did reload the IE8 and then totally remove and reload IE8 and then even remove and try to install IE7 just for ****s and giggles but IE7 would not even load up... so reloaded back to IE8

Just remembered the old backup "No Addon Browser" hidden inside the pack.. and it runs fine with no lockups at all.... so I could not get to the Addon Mgr on my regular browser due to lockup.. so I made sure all the addons were disabled on the "NoAddon Browser" and tried the regular browser with no change... so not sure that the addons being disabled on the "No add on Browser" has any effect on the regular browser and I cannot load the regular browser to use the Add On Manager Dropdown....

But here is a real possibility... while trying to disable all the add on on the "No Addon Browser" add on drop down... I could not disable one of them its called.... "Search Results LLC" it will not let me disable it... and I did find some stuff on Google telling me it might be vicious... so still looking for a sure fire way to disable that one... it may be related to the problem.. I have no idea if I need it or where it came from... supposed to be a Default Tab Browser or something like Browser Helper Object..

Thanks for your help... we will get it one way or the other....
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Try running Microsoft Security Essentials (just do a quick Google search using Chrome or FF) and see if it detects and removes any malware from your machine. Sounds like some annoying browser hijack or add-on could be the culprit. Could you please post the results from the command, "ipconfig /all" so I can check your DNS settings; though I doubt this is a problem since other browser's work just fine. Again though, if Windows Updates (automatic updates in XP) and IE aren't working, it makes me suspicious a virus has snuck it's way onto your PC; those are identical symptoms of a virus unfortunately.

Comments on this post

• tommytx agrees : Seack79 saved my bacon...
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

You were right "VIRUS" it was... LIVE does that mean not dead... its freaking dead now.. thanks to you pushing me to more and more ideas.

The problem all the time was somehow "Live" became my IE default search provider... have no idea how that happened.. wonder if that is something the a..holes Search Results LLC put on me.. I did find where they routinely use different names. Anyway here is the solution in case someone else has a similar problem..

Since my IE browser would lock with no time to get to the Tools -> properties, So I used that new command you gave me (my lord I am getting dangerous) the Start -> Run window to inject the command "inetcpl.cpl" in the Run window to force the Control Panel that comes up with Tools -> Properties...

I clicked on Settings for Default Search Provider and noticed that "Live" voted themselves to be my default provider... so I smacked them out and put google... and lo.. and behold the IE browser is now perfect again... and a lot faster than ever... course all the addons are still disabled. so that may be why its running a little faster....

Thank you so much... I could never have done it without your assistance all day long.... Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

seack79... I just gave you all 9 of my reputation points.... does that mean I have to wait 6 months to get some more? I did not see any change in your reputation.. does it have to wait for management approval... also I can see why your reputation is so big, you are the best... I have a 9 right now and until today I had no idea where that came form..

Question: did you mean Start -> Run -> msconfig
    since I cannot get ipconfig/all to run for me...

Wow! How coincidental... we joined the Fourm back in 2004... that means we are old salts... and now I can see why you are soooo... much smarter than me you got here 6 months before me... LOL.... that makes you older than me...
    Last edited by tommytx; April 20th, 2013 at 08:02 PM.
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The reps are just bragging rights; nothing more.

Yes, it was the 6 months that made ALL the difference

ipconfig /all is ran from a command prompt line (this is different than msconfig).
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo