1. Contributing User
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Xp server restarts after saving files to it from over the network

I have this problem that I don't know how to problem solve. I have an xp machine that I'm using as an intranet server and sometimes when I save files to it from over the network it restarts... Can anyone help me problem solve this?
  3. Who set my Title?
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

There are several reasons this could happen.

- Network adapter driver is defective
    - Storage driver is defective (external storage?)
    - memory is bad messing with DMA transfers and triggering reboot.

To diagnose the problem, do this on the server and reproduce the problem
    - Right click on my computer, go to properties
    - select Advanced tab
    - uncheck Automatically restart under System Failure.

Now you should see a blue screen when your problem happens. Note the error and search for it. It lists the driver that caused the problem as well.
    Nobody is perfect. I am Nobody.
  5. Contributing User

Okay, I've unchecked 'Automatically restart' and notice that 'Write an event to the system log' is checked. While I'm waiting for this issue to duplicate is there a way that I can access the system log?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by DKY
    Okay, I've unchecked 'Automatically restart' and notice that 'Write an event to the system log' is checked. While I'm waiting for this issue to duplicate is there a way that I can access the system log?
    right-click my computer, pick manage, event viewer (or however it's listed in xp).

You might be hitting the hard-coded 10-connection restriction built into xp.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  9. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I's having the same problem but now I've gotten the solution. Thanks.
  11. Contributing User

Alright, I was finally able to recreate the error, I would attach a screenshot but I can't figure out how. Either way it says that
    The problem is caused by the following file: tmevtmgr.sys
    PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
    Any thoughts?
  13. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

Google for that device driver filename and see what it does. Sounds like a bad or corrupted driver.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  15. Contributing User

I googled for like an hour and couldn't sift my way through all the websites that wanted to remove the file because it was spyware... Just trying to make a buck, I'm almost positive that if you type in a file name in Google that's what happens...

I did find one site however that said something about the memory but it doesn't look like they replied saying whether or not they figured out the issue and it was or wasn't solved.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

If you get a lot of google hits on the filename claiming it's spyware or how to remove spyware, it probably is.

Hmm, your google must be different, here's a google search that doesn't have any of the top links saying that file is spyware. http://www.google.com/search?q=tmevt...ient=firefox-a Sounds like you need to uninstall TrendMicro or ask them for help.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    --Alfred Bester
  19. Contributing User

Ugh, Trendmicro is part of the standard desktop here at work...
  21. 'fie' on me, allege-dly

Uninstalling and reinstalling TrendMicro may cause the glitch to go away. After you've spent sufficient time on a problem, and there's no resolution in sight, backup the data, flatten the machine and rebuild, after a certain point there's no return on investment of time in a problem. If it's an issue that affects multiple platforms in the office, then invest more time to find a solution, but after you've gone past the point of no return, back up, flatten & rebuild, ... it works for me, and it might just work for you

Don't forget to put one in the lose column for TrendMicro in the event they are culpable, and also if they're unwilling to help

AV gets renewed every so often, doesn't have to be the same app though
    Last edited by Axweildr; February 20th, 2011 at 04:27 AM.
    --Ax
    without exception, there is no rule ...
    Handmade Irish Jewellery
    Targeted Advertising Cookie Optout (TACO) extension for Firefox
    The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    Detavil - the devil is in the detail, allegedly, and I use the term advisedly, allegedly ... oh, no, wait I did ...
    BIT COINS ANYONE

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo