1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

"NTLDR did not load" boot error WinXP

A friend of mine is having this problem booting XP:

When I boot my system evey couple of times I get this error

NTLDR did not load hit Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart...

This Is waht Ive done so far...
    1. Reformatted 3 times....Was having problems using the windows cd to reformat then install, dont know why but when I did format and install this way I could not install all the windows files...Kept getting errors on certian files would get an option to try the file again or skip would not load...

I eventually used a third party format program "maxtor" installed Xp evertything looked fine..But after reboot 3 times got the same error.

2. Changed the Ide cable for my hard drives, Found out this might be the problem...Seemed fine But same error after 3 or 4 reboots...

3.Checked Bios For booting sequence Made sure My Promary drive was first....

4. Have to repair my boot sector now to get to windows...Will Boot with Xp Cd. goto repair and run fixboot and fixmbr...
    It is not important if the glass is half full or half empty.What is important,is who has been drinking from MY glass?!?!?
  3. No Profile Picture

Ok My Bud Bo Started this string for me thanks bo...

Okay wipe the whole drive clean. Then try to find a new windows xp cd (that might be it).
    I have Reformated the Drive 3 times now...Using 2 different version of windows xp, Home and Pro. Both to No avail...

I have the system up and running now at the moment but I still will recieve the NTLDR message every couple of system reboots...

I have rebooted twice now and no message but Do I have it fixed I dont Know until I reboot again...
  5. No Profile Picture

Oh, okay well just let us know if it works? Are you up to date on windows updates?
    Yes Completely I updated everything today once I have gotten the system up and somewhat stable....Atleast I know now how to rebuild the boot sector If it happens again...

Just trying to figure out why it is happening

Thanks for the Help Andrew I will Post back after the next reboot To See if it is fixed or not
  7. No Profile Picture

It comes to find out that Msi Motherboards had a problem with the Ide Channels....Nothing major....Just have to Flash the Bios....Problem Fixed...

Thanks for all the help
  9. No Profile Picture
    blip blip blip....

I had a similar problem with the NTLDR with XP as wel... while installing XP, during the pre-completion auto-restart, i got an error saying the NTLDR was missing... turned out that a few sectors toward the front of the HDD were corrupt... so i would suggest using windows scan disk on the "thorough" setting to scan the disks surface... in my computer, right click the drive, and go to properties then the tools tab.
    HTH
    J
  11. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the Suggestion Jareemon...I had ran skandisk thorough amungst my 4 reformats...Seems that usually fixes the problem....

I had an Odd case where it was the IDE controller on the motherboard...

Guess I should have checked for a bios update...But what I have read Its Usually XP corrupted files, Bad Harddrive sectors or Bad IDE cable.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo