1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

PWS / IIS question

I run PWS on my work computer but cannot get it to run at home. Everytime I try to run a perl script at home, I get a 500 server error. It gets real old loading the scripts onto the live server, checking them, making changes loading again...

I copied down the way I have everything set up in PWS at work and took that home and made sure everything was the same. I had to make a few changes, but for the most part everything is the same. Still the 500 server error. I tried changing the sha-bang line from #!/usr/local/bin/perl to #!/usr/bin/perl, still get the 500 server error.

Then, I went to My Computer and navigated to the c:\inetpub\wwwroot directory, did a right click on wwwroot to see properties, click on Web Sharing and get this message:

Microsoft(R) Internet Information Server is not started.

Okay, now I can't figure why/how I'm running IIS instead of PWS and how to make the computer know to run PWS instead. I can't find any trace/folder, etc.. of/for IIS.

Please any ideas. I have exhausted my resources here. They all run PWS and don't know anything about IIS.

BTW, I'm running Windows 98 both places. As far as I can tell right now, Perl 5, ActiveState is installed properly.
    Last edited by casa3311; October 25th, 2001 at 01:44 PM.
  3. Mobbing Gangster
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

"Best City" 2002 and 2003- Melbourne, Australia
    if you're running win98, then why in the world you have
    #!/usr/local/bin/perl ?
    I mean, yeah, if perl looks for it's pareser from registry it doesn't matter, but still?
    advice: install apache, and forget pws.
    And you know I mean that.
  5. No Profile Picture

PWS

Either works on my computer at work. Since most of my scripts go on a Unix box at work, I just kind of have it in there that way.

The site I work on a home lives on an NT box in the real world and I have no control over that. I have requested more than you can imagine that it be moved and that I am given access to a database, preferably mySQL. But, since this site is for a private school, the hosting is provided free of charge, and the my work is free of charge, I have very little pull. They are probably getting about 40K of work out of me for free, but since my kids go to school there and love the school, I do it gladly.

You picked up on a minor detail in my last post. That is obvousily not the problem since neither work on my computer at home and either works on the live server.

The main thing I need to know is how to get my computer at home to be looking for PWS instead of IIS. I didn't install it as far as I know. It could have come with FrontPage 2000 or 98, or NetObjects Fusion 2.0 or 4.0 (uninstalled now) which I have (or have had on there) but never use anymore.

All I want to do is have a test server to test my scripts before I put them out on the live (NT) server.

I have some computer background, but most of it is really old and on mainframe computers (ancient). I don't by any stretch of the imagination know even part of everything about Perl and certainly not about servers. I am just asking for a little help here because it still get confused sometimes about this stuff.
  7. Mobbing Gangster

well, I've picked that little detail probably because I haven't worked with pws myself. I am working with apache and I love it.
    Sorry, cant help with pws
  9. No Profile Picture

PWS

get rid of parser directive #!/whatever/path/to/perl

did pws work BEFORE you installed AS?
    does the AS doc's state it works with pws?
    did you add the extensions to pws?

if you develop perl scripts on *nix they will NOT necessarily work on Windows. its the different functions for different os's thing.
  11. No Profile Picture

pws/iis

Sorry for being a dunce, but I don't know what "AS" or "*nix" are. Don't I need to have the shabang line? All my books say so, even the O'Reilly "Learning Perl on Win32 Systems" book.

Actually, I did have it (pws) working sometime early last summer, but I don't know what I might have done to mess things up. I haven't had a strong need for a test server at home until just recently.

The scripts will work (once I've removed all the compile errors) when I move them to the live server. The only difference is that I run Windows 98 on my computer and the server is an NT box. The problem is that I can't get my computer to even recognize that I have PWS installed.

Ever since I tried to uninstall/re-install PWS, my computer has been acting really flakey. I'm about to the point of running a really good back-up and re-formatting my hard drive and re-installing only essential (to me) programs. The kids are on their own and my dh gets enough of computers at work. Several hours of drudgery, but I've done it before and this probably won't be the last time I have to do it.

Might be a good thing anyway, because my kids keep filling my hard drive up with .mp3 files. My 10 gig hard drive went from about 7 gigs free to about 3 gigs free since we got our CD burner! And they can't understand why the computer runs slow now.
  13. Mobbing Gangster

aight, casa, keep yourself tight here. What is that that prevents you from installing apache on your box?
    by AS 0s0 meant activestate perl (I am pretty sure although I haven't heard anyone using that for a long time), and *nix is any unix/linux based os.
  15. No Profile Picture

I guess what keeps me from installing apache is the fact that I don't know how. Like I said before, I am fairly software literate, but when I comes to servers, I'm lost. BUT, I wish this site was on a UNIX box with mySQL database. I HATE flat files! I guess I could run Access, but have heard it is really clunky and more headaches than it's worth. If you know different, please let me know.

As for the other post about unix/nt, I have developed scripts for both types of servers and have been able to test those scripts on my test server at work that runs Windows 98 with pws. Sometimes I have to make minor tweaks in the code when going from windows98/pws to unix, but not too many. Also, sometime last summer, I had pws working for a short time.

For this other stuff I'm doing at home, I am having to make my changes, upload to the server, look at it, make more changes, upload to the server, and on and on infinitum. I would like to be able to delete the upload to the server step.

As far as the disk space goes, my dh had my son download a bunch of Monty Python clips and now I'm down to less than 2 gigs of free space. Deleting them and running defrag will help, but there is so much unused junk on there that I'm about to scream. I just added 256K to my 64K of memory last weekend and can't see a whole lot of difference except on Freecell.
  17. Mobbing Gangster

if you cannot install server (though it is pretty simple, try first), then just go and use forserv or phptriad. Both can be found and www.sf.net . Those are apache/php/mysql preinstalled.

P.S. I am running out of space with my 75 gigs too, so my condolences to you
  19. No Profile Picture

PWS/IIS

Do you have the personal web server icon located near your time clock (extreme lower right hand corner?)

If not, then go to Add/Remove programs and see what has been loaded?

Do you have all the required software ActiveState (AS) needs in order to run correctly in Win98?

Win98 Requirements <-Verify this! if in doubt install it anyway.

Are you running the latest version of ActiveState PERL? Version 5.61.630 is latest?

How to check(Start->Run->command "perl -v")

Your CODE might be trying to access an IIS api/com object which might be causing your error message to appear.

I also have the PERL for Win32 book and if you look at the program examples, they dont' have the #!/usr/bin/perl (look at chapter 2 and on). the beginning of the book also talks about gzip and other commands that are usually found on the *nix's (unless Cygwin is installed).

Remove the shebang line and see what happens?

If you system is acting flaky do this
    Delete you C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files, and other c:\windows\Temp files

Delete your swap file (C:\windows\*.swp) from a bootable floppy, it will be recreated upon next bootup.

Once it reboots, run SCANDISK and DEGRAG FULL.

If that does not alleviate some/all problems then a rebuild might be in order.

Worrying about which database to run should be put off until you find your operating system (which maintains your database state) is in a stable condition. Your development environment should mimick your production environment as closely as possible. Developing on Apache and then running it on MS PWS is just bad development practices.
  21. No Profile Picture

pws

OsO, thanks for keeping things simple for me. I like the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) concept. I will check out the things you mentioned when I get home from work.

I agree about keeping test/productions environments as similar as possible, especially when I don't exactly know all the inner workings of some of this stuff. The server the site resides on is an NT and my home computer is a PC and runs pws (or at least is supposed to be running it).

I will also scandisk/defrag tonight. I am experienceing some other problems. I installed NetNanny to keep my 12year old from going where he shouldn't. I don't know if it's coincidence or not, but my systems has really bogged down. I get lots of illegal operations and such. I have also recently added new memory and stupidly re-installed Windows. Hopefully the suggestions you made will help speed things up. All of these things happened within a week of each other and the problem has slowly becore worse.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo