Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Back and Forth.
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Auto-backup software from folder to folder

Hi guys,

I've been looking around the Internet for some software that auto-backup's a specific folder on a daily basis to a different folder on a different drive. The idea is to get this done daily at a specific time - probably to a network drive on a dedicated server.

Any recommendations. Budget is minimal. Preferably open-source or freeware - if not below $50.

Thanks!!
  3. Providing fuel for space ships
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

When you back-up the folder to another folder, does the folder change on a daily basis or does it simply overwrite the contents of the previous back-up ??

If not, then you could probably create a batch file to copy the contents over for you and then create a scheduled task to run it at a certain time.
    The No Ma'am commandments:

1.) It is O.K. to call hooters 'knockers' and sometimes snack trays
    2.) It is wrong to be French
    3.) It is O.K. to put all bad people in a giant meat grinder
    4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
    5.) It is O.K. to drive a gas guzzler if it helps you get babes
    6.) Everyone should car pool but me
    7.) Bring back the word 'stewardesses'
    8.) Synchronized swimming is not a sport
    9.) Mud wrestling is a sport
  5. Blowing up trees with my mind.
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

I would go with the bat copy as well. I sync some files and folders to another computer, and have it set to onlu update new or changed files, using robocopy (free), and it runs autoamtically from the Task Scheduler.

If you want a copy of the script, I'll post it, and you can modify it pretty easily.
  7. Back and Forth.

Thanks aitken325i.

Possibly both. It really depends. Some of the folders will need to overwrite the other files such as Outlook Express .dbf (sp?) files. On a weekly basis, these need to be archived into a different folder with the date on it. On a daily basis, they will just overwrite the one folder.

I was thinking about the batch file, but is there a way to set it up so it doesn't show up. From memory, if executed from Visual Basic, you can use a certain flag such as SW_HIDE when using the shell() command, is there a similar way to do it without using an external program to execute the batch file?

Also...the scheduler built-in to Windows XP - is it good for this task? I've never had the need to use the scheduler, so I've had no experience with it - although it looks really easy.

Originally Posted by aitken325i
    When you back-up the folder to another folder, does the folder change on a daily basis or does it simply overwrite the contents of the previous back-up ??

If not, then you could probably create a batch file to copy the contents over for you and then create a scheduled task to run it at a certain time.
  9. Back and Forth.

Thanks Veamon for the reply.

That sounds awesome!! Are you using a batch file with robocopy or just robocopy to do that?

I would love to see a copy of the script.

Thanks!!

Originally Posted by Veamon
    I would go with the bat copy as well. I sync some files and folders to another computer, and have it set to onlu update new or changed files, using robocopy (free), and it runs autoamtically from the Task Scheduler.

If you want a copy of the script, I'll post it, and you can modify it pretty easily.
  11. Blowing up trees with my mind.

I'm using a batch file that calls robocopy. And if you run it from the Task Scheduler, it doesn't show up.

This is a sample to show how I backup my pictures to another computer I have networked.
    Code:
    robocopy \\mycomputer\d$\pics c:\pics *.* /S /PURGE /NP /XO /LOG+:c:\scripts\logs\pictures_log.txt
    This runs on the server side, but you can switch the two parameters (\\mycomputer path and the C:\pics) to do it the otherway.

The flags are like this:

/s - copies subdirectories, excluding empty ones

/PURGE - Deletes destination files and directories that no longer exist in the source.

/NP - hides the progress indicator, good when exporting to a log file

/XO - excludes files that are older on the source

/LOG+ - appends to the log file name. Without the + overwrites it.

Thats all I have, and it syncs up every night in a few seconds. I use it at work now, because at first we were pushing 3 gig worth of data every Monday to a location about 30 miles away, and using this, I cut it down to maybe 200-300 megs.

You can get robocopy with the Windows Resource Tools from Mirosoft for free.
  13. Back and Forth.

Veamon! - That is so awesome. Just what I'm looking for. I didn't realise that batch files wouldn't show up if spawned from Task Scheduler. That's great.

I'm going to download the Resource Tools to get this program.

Just out of interest, is there a specific reason that you opted to run on server side?

This runs on the server side, but you can switch the two parameters (\\mycomputer path and the C:\pics) to do it the otherway.
    Are you running this on a client computer that is backing up to a server or are you running from server to backup from client? If that makes sense!??!
    Last edited by njcallen; September 9th, 2006 at 12:33 PM.
  15. Blowing up trees with my mind.

I'm running it on my server, because I have it doing a bunch of scripting, so it's just easier to manage all in one place, but it doesn't really matter where you run it from.
  17. Back and Forth.

Awesome....I'm hoping to run it off our server and wasn't 100% sure if that was possible.

I'm actually in the process of trying to setup a small business network. I'm thinking of running Windows SBS 2003. Hopefully that should be okay.

Thanks again veamon.

Comments on this post

• Veamon agrees : No prob.
  19. Blowing up trees with my mind.

Not a problem. And if you're looking into copying it securely offsite, might want to look into Truecrypt. Just got it working yesterday, basically you setup a "file", which gets mounted as a drive and do all your data transfer to that drive. Then when you're done, you unmount and now you have a secured file that you can move around. Uses tons of different encryption types, and free.

Comments on this post

• njcallen agrees : TrueCrypt is awesome.
  21. Back and Forth.

Yeah TrueCrypt is awesome.....I've been using for a year or so now for storage. I have two mounted drives each 4GB and encrypted. I store all business stuff in there and backup to DVD weekly (at least I try to ).

I'm hoping that I can somehow get TrueCrypt working on my SBS server and then mount/unmount remotely using batch files that are triggered using certain commands. I'm hoping this is secure.

I also recently found out that TrueCrypt drives can be mounted from a batch file...

@echo off
    c:\progra~1\TrueCrypt\TrueCrypt.exe /v C:\VOLUMES\VOL1.MDD /l H /m /a /p my-secret-password /q

The argument /l H - creates on drive H.

It's pretty sweet.
  23. Blowing up trees with my mind.

Yea, I unmount before I send the file about 30 miles away to my parents for offsite backup, otherwise I get a sharing violation.

If you have the drive saved as a "favorite" you can do it this way.
    Code:
    truecrypt /a favorites /p "password" /q

/a favorites - automounts things you have saved as your favorites

/p - duh

/q - keeps dialog box from loading afterwards.
    And
    Code:
    truecrypt /dismount /q
    just unloads them
  25. Back and Forth.

Thanks for that info. I didn't know what some of those flags meant and didn't know the mounted drives could be unmounted via. command-line too! That's going to make things a lot easier.

27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Yea, I unmount before I send the file about 30 miles away to my parents for offsite backup, otherwise I get a sharing violation.

If you have the drive saved as a "favorite" you can do it this way.
    Code:
    truecrypt /a favorites /p "password" /q

/a favorites - automounts things you have saved as your favorites

/p - duh

/q - keeps dialog box from loading afterwards.
    And
    Code:
    truecrypt /dismount /q
    just unloads them
    heh, doesn't saving your truecrypt's vault password in a batch file... sort of remove the usefulness of encryption.. ?
  29. Back and Forth.

I was just thinking about that too!

I'm pretty certain there are ways to get around storing your password within the batch file, but still keeping the functional use of it.

In my case....I'm going to write a small PHP web application that will be hosted on the server that has the TrueCrypt files ready to mount. I'm hoping to have a simple form where the password can be entered and then either a batch file will be triggered using exec() or the program will be executed from this function directly. Or I might write something in VB!
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo