1. No Profile Picture
    BrainFreeze
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Permisions problems IIS 5

Hi,

I have a D drive with all me Inetpub fles on it, I tried to change some permissions for admin folders. When I tried this everything went to crap and got errors all over the place. Now I have got it back and working in some cases, but some sites now will not let me have access to the permissions In the security tab there is no group in there, used to have group eveyone on read only. When I try to access the permissions i get the following error, I cant even add a group. I am the admistrator of the machine also

You do not have permission to edit the current permission settings but you can take ownership or change auditing settings
    When I try to browse the site I get an NT login box come up.

This is totally devestating how can i get or recover this, and how or what made this happen?

thx
  3. superficial

what happens if you take ownership, and then try it.
  5. No Profile Picture
    BrainFreeze

Hi,

When I go into the advanced tab and click on ownership it says

"Unable to display current owner"

I see my administrator in the box underneath when i highlight that it does not give me the button or checkboxes to reums ownership of the file.

Ha, just done it I was trying to take ownership of a single file if i took ownership of the folder then it seemed to work and could add a new group or user.

Thx a lot for your help. I was going mad and thought i had tried everything a bit of sitting back time and thinking about it would have solved this yesterday probably.

take care
  7. superficial

9. No Profile Picture

Do you have any ideas about the cause of the problem yet? I had a similar case with file permissions a while ago. Apparently someone had altered NT4 file permissions using a Windows 2000 system (which offers more advanced settings). Afterwards, NT4 could no longer handle the permissions and ownership had to be taken to reset them. Could this be the case with your problem too?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo