1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Win2k's user names ???

Greetings again all,
    I recently wrote in as a new member with the issue of Altering
    Win2k's user names & pw's ! I may have not specificaly explained what my goal was here. ~ See, when I loaded Win2K
    onto my second HDD within the same box of Win98 here, I followed all the Microsoft registration stuff,where it asks what ya want to name the Owner of the Computer , and what ya want to
    logon as -meaning name and to choose a password.It also said something about -Do I want this to be a Group Work Station or a Single Domain or something like this. Well,I had NO idea of what this meant,so I do not even remember what I chose. So along the weeks here,I FORGOT my logon password,as it DID display
    my USER name as the same as I Registered the operating System
    as.But this was not ringing a bell yet for me,so I searched the web for tips on how to get back into a Win2k OS, without a PW !
    I did see many ideas of either getting those PW crackers or just
    Deleting those SAM files ,and even those Linux boot disks that can reset your PW from outside the OS ! So,I went for the DELETION of the SAM file ! Upon going BACK into the WIn2k OS,
    I see that I had to go in as the ADMIN,and with a BLANK PASSWORD. This was fine,except ,NOW the LOGON USER name
    states -Brian123ABC\ADMIN !!! Well,I want to get this part of MY
    NAME with those numbers and letters OUT OF THERE ,,,and ONLY
    have the word-ADMIN by itself !!! This is what I here is the way to LOGON to these type OS'S ,is through ADMIN,or as ANOTHER USER ,but WITHOUT priveledges !!! So,"HOW DO I ALTER THIS USER NAME" ,as there is NO user listed as Brian123ABC at all,but ONLY an ADMIN and a GUEST !?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
    I have been through ALL of the ADMINISTRATIVE controls that I can find,and can NOT bring up anything that resembles THAT name at ALL!!! It MUST be STORED somewhere in the computer !!!

WHOEVER has a REPLY for me,can ya PLEASE be VERY Specific.
    Thank You So Much In Advance,and Have Yourself A Wonderful Day %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Best 2 ya ALL out there,
    DONALD :-)
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

In fact, if you tried to create a user called BrianABC123 it wouldn't let you, because that's the name of your computer. Somewhere in the network settings, it's remotely logging onto your computer all the time (deleting the SAM file does cause a few problems). Look through the network settings until you see something suspicious.

Alun Harford
  5. No Profile Picture

SAME

THANX Alun ! I am in process of trying to figure out Win2k ! Have a GREAT day ...

:-)
  7. No Profile Picture

yeah man, your nuts. i would be so quick to pop in my DOS disk and reformat tht thing. a clean install of Win2000 always does the trick.
  9. No Profile Picture

Exclamation WHAT ???

What da FREAK is a DOS DISK ??? I am HERE,cause Win2K does
    NOT have DOS !!! Now ya got me TOTALLY confused ! I could pop in my Win2k CD,but what would THAT do ? Would it OVERwrite the files & give me ADMIN rights again ? I do NOT even know what the DIFFERENCE is between-Domain Name Controller, or LOCAL Adimin account ,or Guest or just ANY ole USER account does,as my copy of Windows 2000 seemed to CHOOSE the name I gave my computer at REG time,to be a USER name or something .
    ALL I ASK,is -HOW to get RID OF the NAME that the WIN2k OS seemed to PICK for me to log on as and for me to recover the password it choose too,*OR*,for a way to TRUELY CLEAR OUT that
    account and make *ME* be the ONLY one that can log in with WHAT EVER NAME & PASSWORD I CHOOSE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    From reading arround on the WEB,I *HAVE* been able to get IN AS-ADMINISTRATOR,with a BLANK password,in which I set recently,but,I STILL SEE that OTHER PRIOR name that I used upon registering the Win2k in the begining.So,I must click on to THAT name,and then CLEAR the fields and then enter ADMIN with my new PW.This is too much crap,as I want it deleted and simplified ! Can you help ? THANX AGAIN !!! Good Day 2 U :-)
  11. No Profile Picture

what i would do in that situation is log-on as admin and delete that user with that wierd name and then add one with whatever name and password you wanted. as for the DOS thing i was referring to installing DOS and then reformatting with it. its not too difficult at all but its kinda the last resort. im pretty quick to just say f**k it when problems arise and just reload the machine. thats just my method though. i dont like being in a situation like yours where i dont feel as if i know everything about my comp. i like being the one who loads the OS, partitions the drive, designs the file structure, etc. i get all twitchy if i dont have full control. im a wierd guy though. good luck my man...

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo