1. In the midst of insanity
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Batch File Dates

Hello again

As you can see form my last post, I'm really stuck when it comes to DOS commands (absolute novice). I need to create a batch file whose purpose is to:

Create a mapped drive - done this OK.

Check to see if mapped drive exists - need help with this one, who do I get some sort of boolean return to see if drive exists?

Check to see if a flag file exists on mapped drive OR check the date on a file is less than x days old - having really troubles with this one, how do I capture the number of days in a variable?

Backup/Copy the mail '.pst' file to mapped drive - done this OK.

Check if file exists on remote drive. - think this one will be ok with if(exists(filename))

If anyone can help or point me in some sort of direction toward success, I will be eternally grateful.

Cheers
    Take it easy - but take it!
  3. Second highest poster :p
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Personally i don't think DOS batch files would be able to accomplish all of this. I have had to do similar things and I wrote a PHP script which I then ran using the PHP interpreter. This was an easy way to solve my problem. DOS batch files were designed just to run a batch of commands... checking files and that sort of thing was not really their purpose. You might be able to get programs that give it that functionality, but i dont like the chances.
    - Andreas Koepke

Koepke Photography

5. In the midst of insanity
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thanks for your help Andreas. I guess it is very limited as to what commands etc you can use in a batch file. I'm now thinking of either:

installing a PHP intepreter and using a PHP script
    OR
    installing bash utils (for windows) thingy and using a bash script

I guess installing the bash tools would take up less space and time etc What do you think/suggest?
    Take it easy - but take it!
  7. Second highest poster :p
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

If its only going to be used for that then i would get the bash utils. I had installed PHP on the system I was using already so that was why it was the most logical thing to use, but it does have quite a large size and would be a serious underuse of its power doing something like that.

With bash scripts & utils you have access to that sort of information that you need so it should work well.
    - Andreas Koepke

Koepke Photography

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo