1. PHP Member
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Windows 2000 Mail

I am looking for a SMTP mail server for windows, I'm going to start using PHP to send emails but i need a mail server on a windows 2000 mchine to do it, I want to send the mail to this server, as it will be local so faster, then i want the amil server to forward the mail to somewhere like mail.whereever.com

Is this possible, I read something about windows having mail software built in, but i'm not near my machine to have a play.

anyone any links ideas or anything please.

TY

3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

first of all: i donīt know of any stable reliable mail server for windows and i doubt there is any.
    but since you seem to need it only for development purposes...

windows afaik does not have a built-in mailserver. It comes with the "BackOffice" suite and is called "Exchange Server" or (maybe also) with the Win2000 Server product line.

the "built in mail software" you read about probably was the mail client called "Outlook Express".

For some versions of MS Office (i have "Office 2000 Premium" at work), they supply it on the CD-Roms in a "Developer-Version", i.e. it will only support like 3 accounts or similar restrictions, enough for testing.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Argosoft

I use argosoft for all of my windows email server needs. Its an awsome program, easy to use/setup and is very affordable.

http://www.argosoft.com

here is some information on argosoft and some other folks who are using it too: http://www.diywebserver.com

another alternative is to install IIS (Internet Information Server) which is included on the win2k cd but does not install as default. IIS has an SMTP server which is handy if you want to send email from a server.

-ab
  7. Modding: Oracle MsSQL Firebird
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

9. Contributing User

Very late post I know...

Windows 2000 comes with IIS (or at least it's on the CD-ROM) and you can install the SMTP service that's part of IIS. It works and would probably do the relay for you too.

That's exactly what I've been doing to send mail from my computer since I'm missing my ISP's SMTP server since I've cancelled my account with them.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo