1. They're coming to take me away

Selecting Safe Mode will reboot computer

I have this computer that had a ton of infections. I managed to get rid of all of them (I think), and the computer seems to work normal....

Before removing infections, I tried accessing Safe Mode, but the same problem as now persisted.

Basically, I can get to the Boot Menu, and no matter which Safe Mode option I try, it starts going through the loading driver screen, and then reboots.

I've used sfc /scannow and that completed.

I'm running Win XP.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

I have not run into this before but maybe one of the drivers got corrupted, or maybe this is hardware issue. (Strange that it would boot up normally though).
  5. Providing fuel for space ships
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Seem to remember something about this happening with a version of Nero, does it have Nero installed ?

If not, are you able to see what is the last driver loaded before it freezes/re-boots ?

Comments on this post

• hiker agrees : Thanks. Agpcpq.sys is where it reboots
    The No Ma'am commandments:

1.) It is O.K. to call hooters 'knockers' and sometimes snack trays
    2.) It is wrong to be French
    3.) It is O.K. to put all bad people in a giant meat grinder
    4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
    5.) It is O.K. to drive a gas guzzler if it helps you get babes
    6.) Everyone should car pool but me
    7.) Bring back the word 'stewardesses'
    8.) Synchronized swimming is not a sport
    9.) Mud wrestling is a sport
  7. Automagically Delicious
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

I've seen this before, too. It was a problem with corrupted system files for me. Try a repair install if you can.
    Adam TT
  9. They're coming to take me away

Thanks for the replies.

@aitken: Nero was not installed. The last driver I remebered was something along the lines of: agpvideo.sys (Or something else agp related)

@AdamPI: Repair install didn't do anything to correct the issue.

This person brought me the computer to get rid of the infections (and a massive amount there were). I did get rid of them, and let him take the machine. He wouldn't even know how to get into Safe Mode, so not too concerned about it right now...

Although, another problem seemed to come up... which I am quite curious about.. so I'll post the question here.

I returned this computer two days ago (Sunday). He called me up today, and said that when he tried to open Microsoft Office, it was asking for a serial number again. He apparently had Office XP and 2003 on the computer....

The only programs I ran though, were CCleaner, ATF Cleaner, Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, and Bitdefender... oh.. and Hijackthis. None of these would remove serials... Could the infections have corrupted the registry entry/entries for various serial numbers or product keys?

Then... after sometime on the phone, he was trying to enter product key for XP into his 2003 version... I explained that wouldn't work and that he needed to either find the 2003 prod key or uninstall xp and 2003, then reinstall xp. He did that... but then... he calls me back up and says that he's being forced to enter a password to log in to his machine. (No password was previously set).

This all seems to random to me that I believe it to be some sort of user error.... But who knows... wasn't sure if maybe the infections corrupted certain items or whatnot...

Any thoughts? (Just curious)
  11. Automagically Delicious

oh man, this sounds a bit like the conficker virus I got a while back. It got a lot of press, too. Have him go check out this:

Conficker Eye Chart

There's a key at the bottom to tell you what different things mean. I'm sure you can google a removal tool.

Comments on this post

• hiker agrees : Thanks for the suggestion... not a Conficker problem though...
    Adam TT
  13. Providing fuel for space ships

Is the version of Windows and the version/s of Office on the machine genuine ?

4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
  15. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by aitken325i
    Is the version of Windows and the version/s of Office on the machine genuine ?
    Yes.

@Adam: I'll let him know. Thanks.
  17. They're coming to take me away

So... I've received this computer back... more infections. People at his work use the computer and I guess go to all sorts of sites or something. Anyways, that's another issue which I'll address later....

I did the conficker eye test... came out fine... (no infections there).

But... still can't get into safe mode.... just weird, I tell you.

Any other ideas?
  19. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

Just to brighten your day, I had a customer that had similar problems about not being able to boot to safe mode after some infection removal. Ultimately the only cure I found was to erase the disk and reinstall windows XP.

Comments on this post

• hiker agrees : Thanks.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    I've never been able to appreciate the sublime arrogance of folks who feel they were put on earth just to save other folks from themselves .." - Donald Hamilton
  21. No Profile Picture
    Self-banned

First, when I worked at my alma mater's IT dept., I set up a laptop for a professor that had XP and Office 2003. Two days later, the laptop was back on my desk, and seemed to have been reset to mid-way through the setup. I hadn't created any restore points along the way, and I can definitely say the professor didn't know how to even do a restore. Anyways, it happened, so I can say it happens. Whether it was the fault of Office, a corrupted driver, or some weird power fluctuation that forced a restore, it is possible for a PC to crash backwards, leaving it in a partially set up condition.

I suggest restarting (yet again) and get to the boot options screen. Enable boot logging, then try booting to safe mode. Once it fails, pull the hard drive and attach it to another PC. Browse its drive, and in the Windows folder should be a file called "Ntbtlog.txt". This will list all of the steps Windows took while trying to load, and should also list and driver failures that occurred. You can also check the even log for device failures, and other issues which may case a reboot.

Comments on this post

• hiker agrees : Thanks.
  23. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by Doug G
    Just to brighten your day, I had a customer that had similar problems about not being able to boot to safe mode after some infection removal. Ultimately the only cure I found was to erase the disk and reinstall windows XP.
    Doug.. You're always full of good news, aren't you?

It seems that it reboots right after the AGPCPQ.sys file.... There are a LOT of these issues online. Many solutions seem to have been found...

I've tried most of the solutions I came across with the exception of reinstalling, updating bios, and replacing the kernel file. Guess I'll make the suggestion of reinstalling at some point...

Thanks for the replies.
  25. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

Doug.. You're always full of good news, aren't you?
    Always trying to spread some joy and cheer ...

For a long time I suspected a problem with the hardware or drivers. In case it's relevant at all, the client machine was an old Dell Dimension 4300 circa 2002 or so. It seems to me my safe mode problem happened at the agp<something> driver too. I reinstalled the Dell video drivers for the machine from a download but that didn't help.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    I've never been able to appreciate the sublime arrogance of folks who feel they were put on earth just to save other folks from themselves .." - Donald Hamilton
  27. Providing fuel for space ships

Is this machine running SP2 or SP3 ? Have you tried updating the graphic drivers to the latest version ?

4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
  29. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by aitken325i
    Is this machine running SP2 or SP3 ? Have you tried updating the graphic drivers to the latest version ?
    SP3 (Just updated. Seems he never performs Windows Updates, so I took care of that when I had it)...

I'll try updating the graphic drivers next time he brings it back.. (Which at the rate he's going, probably won't be too far from now..)

Thanks.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo