1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Icon for wireless disappeared, laptop.

My laptop froze 1 day. So I had to unplug and remove battery.

When I turned it on, a popup popped up saying it wants to install new hardware. Shortly, my laptop stopped accepting/receiving electricity from the cord. So it runs only on battery.

But I wasn't on-line. So some days later I took it to the library, where it used to automatically connect to the wireless or wi-fi.

But the icon for wireless disappeared. The 3-monitor icon for my LAN is there, but not my 1-monitor icon for the wireless. A qquick look in Control Panel and I still couldn't find it.

Regardless, the laptop still can't accept electricity from the cord, so I was hoping if it installed the hardware it wants to, it may fix that problem.

So my questions are.

1.What happened to my 1-monitor icon for wireless and how can I retrieve it. Virus?

2.Let's just say I can work around it and find a wire for Internet to put in my laptop. So then it automatically has Internet. I don't know if it's intelligent enough to immeditately install the hardware it wanted to a couple days ago. How do I find the popup again? Is it going to be in my tray?

If installing the new hardware doesn't fix my laptop's ability to receive electricity from the cord, then I'll have to buy a new 1 / get it fixed...

Thanks.

Comments on this post

• jzd disagrees
  3. They're coming to take me away

In regards to your ac adapter not working, chances are that installing the hardware (which was probably related to the wireless card) will not fix it. A couple of common reasons I've come across are:
    - AC Adapter port has gone bad (or is going bad)
    - Loose connection at the port. Try jiggling it around a little to see if that helps
    - Does the ac adapter plug have a green light on it indicating it's powered? If so, is it lit up?

In regards to the new hardware wizard, which I'm guessing is for your wireless card, you can have that pop up again by going to control panel and selecting Add Hardware... (in Windows XP anyways.. not sure what the option is in Windows 7)...

However, instead of going that route, you should check out your Device Manager. (Control Panel --> System --> Hardware tab --> Device Manager). See if there are any yellow exclamation marks or red x's.)

(For Windows 7, I believe it's Control Panel --> System --> Device Manager on the left menu).

Let us know what you find in Device Manager.

Comments on this post

• jzd agrees
    "I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer. I have lots of lives!"
  5. Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

This looks just like a continuation of your question from: http://forums.devshed.com/computer-h...on-725485.html
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by jzd
    This looks just like a continuation of your question from: http://forums.devshed.com/computer-h...on-725485.html
    It's actually the same thing.

Hiker, I'll try what you say.

I just thought it was the os or hardware because the hole that receives the cord wire has been fixed before in the past, from having a slow death, not an instantaneous one. That if it did die, it would have been a slow death (i.e., taking 30 seconds for it to receive electricity and the pink light to turn on).

Also, an IT person told me that for Dell laptops, you can actually turn off battery charging, via some function key. He asked what kind of laptop it is, it's a Gateway laptop. I'll look into that too.

Thanks.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

It didn't work. I got it wired Internet and it searches and then it said it could not find what is needed to install.

I went to device manager and and there was a battery icon. I even went to clicked on drivers tab and clicked roll back driver but still no luck.

I guess the part where it receives electricity is completely dead. Weeks ago I got a q-tip wet and tried to clean it but no luck.

I wonder if they sell a thing such as laptop-battery rechargers.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Yea they do, I bought a laptop-battery recharger and it works.

Here's the problem, most of the time, when I turn on the computer it will be a blank screen. And sometimes I turn it on it will load. But if it beeps and takes me to an error screen, I have to press F1 to resume. Then, when Windows load, there will not be a wireless/wifi icon and it can't go on-line.

If I turn on the computer and it loads just fine, which is more rare, then the wireless icon exists, but the laptop will shortly freeze, and then I have to reboot.

But here is what the error message is on what looks like a DOS screen:

Resource Conflict - PCI on Motherboard
    Bus:06, Device:09, Function:04

Press <F1> to resume, <F2> to Setup
  13. No Profile Picture

Same thing happened with me as well and the reason was not virus but some driver files which were current and were causing conflict of hardware.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo