1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Mysterious .cab files

I didn't find anything when I searched for this, so I hope I'm not duplicating a thread. I am running Win 7 on a Toshiba Satellite, recently upgraded from Vista. This problem was ocurring in Vista as well.
    After rebooting, I frequently find certain subfolders in my download folder compressed into .cab files. I created my own download folder on c:, I'm not using the default folder. It's never all the folders, only certain ones. The contents are always intact when I uncompress them. This never happens anywhere else that I have found, only that one folder and only certain subfolders, never all the subfolders. I am not inexperienced, but I wouldn't even know where to start looking. If it's a virus, it's a benign one, and one that has evaded numerous scans with numerous tools.
    If anyone has any ideas, thanks in advance. It's not really a severe problem, just a nuisance, but the puzzle is going to nag me until I find an answer.
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

We you say "download folder", what do you mean? Is this a default download folder for a web browser? (Could that be compressing the files?)

Comments on this post

• TheJim01 agrees
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by jzd
    We you say "download folder", what do you mean? Is this a default download folder for a web browser? (Could that be compressing the files?)

No, I simply created a folder name DOWNLOADS on my c:\ drive so I wouldn't have to do all that fancey navigation through user folders every time I want to access it. This seems to happen only when I shut down or reboot, and so far as I have found, only in that one folder. But there's nothing special about the folder.
  7. Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

So it is not the default folder for anything at all? (If it is not, I don't see how it saves you any navigation)
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by jzd
    So it is not the default folder for anything at all? (If it is not, I don't see how it saves you any navigation)

Well, I guess I either underthought or overthought your question. It's not the system default folder in the users directory, but yes, it is now the default download directory for all my browsers. (IE, which I rarely use, Avant, which is an IE front end, currently an experimental installation, and Firefox.) IE, if I understand what I've read properly, downloads to a temp directory, then moves or copies the file to the default directory. But this was going on before I started using Avant. It's been going on for a good while. The directory is not set to be indexed or compressed to save space. Everything in the advanced properties is disabled.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Self-banned
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Here are some steps you can try. Remember, Don't open ANY of your browsers, unless directed.

1. Reboot.
    2. Clean out the folder.
    3. Reboot.
    4. Are the cab files there? Yes: Something weird is going on. No: Continue.
    5. Put a file in there (any file, doesn't matter, as long as you don't download it).
    6. Reboot.
    7. Are the cab files there? Yes: Something weird is going on. No: Continue.
    8. Is the original file still there? Yes: Continue. No: Something weird is going on.
    9. Clear out the folder.
    10. Reboot.
    11. Open a browser.
    12. Close said browser.
    13. Are the cab files there? Yes: Something weird is going on. No: Continue.
    14. Reboot.
    15. Are the cab files there? Yes: *THAT* browser is misbehaving. No: Continue.
    16. Repeat steps 9-15 for each browser.
    17. Open a browser.
    18. Download a file.
    19. Close said browser.
    20. Are the cab files there? Yes: Something weird is going on. No: Continue.
    21. Reboot.
    22. Are the cab files there? Yes: *THAT* browser is misbehaving. No: Continue.
    23. Is the file you downloaded still there? Yes: Continue. No: Something weird is going on.
    24. Repeat steps 17-23 for each browser.
    Other than that, I have no idea. Have you pointed any other programs at the folder, like a zip program?

Comments on this post

• jzd agrees
  13. No Profile Picture

Nope, nothing like that. It's really weird, I was under the impression that .cab files were pretty much exclusive to windows process's, so the first thing I thought of was indexing or file compression. Like I said, it's not that big of a deal, it's just a mystery and I don't like mysteries. I'll try your suggestions, see if I can pin it down to one of my browsers. Or maybe try deleting the folder and remaking it? Ah the joys of Windows.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo