1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Windows 7 file sharing problem

hello,

Im currently having a real annoying problem and its really driving me mad.

I have a home server running Windows 7 Ultimate, all updates installed. Now i have a shared folder, and i want the whole network to be able to acces it, but not change it. But i want to have full access myself on my laptop and desktop.

So i set the Everyone policy to Read only, and made a new user with write access. (in both NTFS and sharing permissions).

Now whenever i try to access it from my desktop (also running w7 ultimate), and select "Login using different credentials" when mapping a new network drive, it just totally goes mad. Ive tried every possible option, but it keeps popping up the login box, and finally shows something like: the network drive is already mapped to other, please disconnect all existing connections.

Ive tried:

SERVER\username
    username

It seems to me like something pretty simple, but all those "easy network wizards" and the so called "homegroups" are just making it harder it seems.
  3. Blowing up trees with my mind.
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

You could make 2 different shares, one for everybody else that is read only, and then one that you use that has full permissions. Just have the same user on both machines and it will work fine.
  5. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thanks for the advice, anyway the problem somehow fixed itself.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo