1. No Profile Picture
    got Rice?
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

LAMP install (DocumentRoot on Windows)

Not sure if this is right forum. But basically, I have a LAMP installation (using VirtualBox) on a Debian Install. The DocumentRoot is a symbolic link to a networked computer that is windows (XP Pro).

It works fine serving up pages, but if I want to write to a directory (that is on the windows machine), I get a permission denied error.

How do I give it permission to allow php/apache to write to the windows folder? I have turned off simple file sharing, and under Security, for "Everyone" gave Full Control for everything. I even added full control/etc for all Group or user names for the folders. Not sure where to go from here?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

My guess is you're being restricted by virtualbox. Usually you have to do some special tricks to allow a VM to access the filesystem of the host machine.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  5. No Profile Picture
    got Rice?
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

I will check into that.

but I am able to create files within the folders, if I su into root. I have tried, from within the VB/Debian, to chmod the directory to 777 (chmod 777 <foldername>) but it doesnt seem to have permissions to change the permissions to that.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Sorry, I don't user VirtualBox or Debian, I don't know how VB maps permissions from the host. I still believe the answer will be found somewhere in Virtualbox not Debian or Windows, but like I said "I don't know"
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo