1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Exclamation Basic Windows ZIP problem

Hello,

I have a pretty basic problem here. I'm using Windows Vista (don't ask why) and I'm trying to zip up a directory structure (using WINZIP) and getting the following error:

"The compression cannot be performed because the path to the file or directory 'xxx_filename.extension' is too long."

When compressing, the length of the path to some of the files deeper in the directory structure exceeds the allowable path length. This seems like it's either a bug within windows or WINZIP. Does anyone know any hacks or workarounds to get around this? This is happening for not one, but many files. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks!
  3. No Profile Picture

There is a 1024-character maximum directory path length limit for ZIP files, which are clearly exceeding, so you are going to need to find a different method.

Depending on what you are trying to accomplish, I recommend just using the Windows backup program, which will also do compression into a bkf file, which compresses about a 2:1 ratio.

What specifically are you trying to accomplish, and maybe we can tell you a better way.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by prohosterz
    There is a 1024-character maximum directory path length limit for ZIP files, which are clearly exceeding, so you are going to need to find a different method.

Depending on what you are trying to accomplish, I recommend just using the Windows backup program, which will also do compression into a bkf file, which compresses about a 2:1 ratio.

What specifically are you trying to accomplish, and maybe we can tell you a better way.
    I just want to create a copy of this directory structure, that's all. I think what I'll have to do is copy the directory structure (not zipped) to a flash card or such.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo