1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Installing Server 2008 from USB...Problems

Hi, i have just been given a HP XEON 3.2GHz server from a friend and am trying to install windows 2008 on it.

The original cd drive was CD-ROM which i though was a bit weird, so i replaced it with a DVD drive to try boot from CD, but the DVD drive doesnt appear in the boot priority setting in the BIOS for some reason?

So i decided to use USB

Using WinToFlash to copy the windows installation to CD, i am getting a black screen with a blinking cursor. I read up that i need to format the drive using filesystem FAT16LBA, which then booted from USB fine.

The problem i have now is, when i format using FAT16LBA and copy the windows installation using WinToFlash, it caps my 16GB USB disk to 2GB, and the installation is 3.xxGB. And then when i try to boot from usb and run the setup it tells me boot.wim is missing, and it also takes about 2 minutes to copy the installation over which isnt right....

Does anyone have any ideas? i cant wait to get this server going......better then my P4's

Thanks guys!!!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

FAT is limited to files sizes of 2 GB or less, which is may be the issue you're running into. Let's start with the easy steps first, why isn't the DVD drive being recognized? Does it have power (i.e., if you hit the eject button does it actually operate)? If it has power, then let's figure out why it's not recognized in BIOS. Is it plugged into an IDE port or SATA; is the port enabled in BIOS or set to disable?

If you really want to try the USB method try these instructions.

Format the thumb drive:
    1.from a DOS prompt execute: diskpart
    2.list disk
    3.select disk 1 (assuming disk 1 was your thumb drive in the above list disk command)
    4.clean
    5.create partition primary
    6.select partition 1
    7.active
    8.format fs=fat32
    9.assign
    10.exit

Copy the Win2008 install files:
    xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (assumes your dvd is drive D: and your thumb drive is drive E:\, adjust accordingly); that's it other than verifying the server BIOS was set to boot off of the USB device. source
    Last edited by seack79; April 18th, 2012 at 06:37 PM.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks for your reply. Ive been checking my email every 5 mins

Im not sure about the dvd drive. Ill have another play with it but it had an existing cd rom drive i beleive worked. I just replaced it with a dvd drive from my other tower. I have just got a IDE to usb to try from work too.

As for USB, ive never had any issues before doing usb installs. A complete format returns it to 16gb then with the windows installation copied on, and USB drive (which is detected as USB pen drive) in BIOS boot order set to first. When booting i can see the usb drive flash as if it trys to boot, then just black screen with blinking cursor. As i say formatting with FAT16LBA allows me to boot from it, but i cant fit the windows installation on.

I will try your steps above soon and keep you posted.

I appreciate your help!!
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks for your help! I used a different program to burn as well as following your steps to format in diskpart! Now its booting and installing fine!

Thanks again! always appreciate the help on these forums!!

YOU GUYS ROCK!
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Glad you got it sorted out, nice job.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Guys! just when i thought all was sorted i have USB issues...

Everything was fine with USB through the boot process, keyboard in BIOS, mouse and keyboard in setup and obviously USB drive.

However, now my printer and my 2TB External HDD are not being detected via USB at all. Absolutely nothing happens. No noises, no erros just absolutely NOTHING!

However, if i plug in my External HDD or printer, they are not detected!

This almost seems like devices which DONT REQUIRE onboard 5v are whats not working! These devices are powered separately (printer via A/C and external USB drive via wall plug PSU)

Any ideas? Its weird something are working some thing are now.

Ive tried

- Search for hardware changes
    - uninstalling USB drivers or devices etc
    - rebooting / unplugging and powering down the external USB HDD

Any ideas?

Thanks again!!
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

When you plug one of them in, notate the time and take a look in event viewer under system (may be applications but I think it would be system) and see if there is an error or warning logged. You might want to consider starting a new thread since this perhaps is unrelated to the original post; but I'm no MOD so....
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

thanks i will try the above and create a new post!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo