1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hindi translation

So I'm trying to copy some hindi text out of a PDF. I've set up hindi on my PC as far as i can tell. I've installed right to left languages on my PC as well. Most of the script copies over just fine however some characters are showing up as numbers.

I'll try to post some screen shots when i get a chance to show the before and after. I just wondered if anybody knew what was going on.

Thanks,
    DSFX.
  3. Providing fuel for space ships
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

What version of Windows are you running ? How did you install the language pack ?

Just wondering, the Hindi characters that are appearing as numbers, would these characters translate as numbers in English or would they be alpha-chars ?
    The No Ma'am commandments:

1.) It is O.K. to call hooters 'knockers' and sometimes snack trays
    2.) It is wrong to be French
    3.) It is O.K. to put all bad people in a giant meat grinder
    4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
    5.) It is O.K. to drive a gas guzzler if it helps you get babes
    6.) Everyone should car pool but me
    7.) Bring back the word 'stewardesses'
    8.) Synchronized swimming is not a sport
    9.) Mud wrestling is a sport
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by memoonamike
    If you provide us all these requirement then we can be better able to help you.
    Firstly let me appologize for not getting back to this thread. Thanks for those that replied.

I'm running XP SP3 and the Hindi numbers that are showing up should be letters in English not numbers. The language pack i installed was farsi i believe. I'm new at dealing with languages on PCs so this is a bit greek to me.

Here is whats happening
    PDF:

Word:

It could be something really simple that i've missed. If you've got any suggestions please feel free to let me know.

Thanks
    DSFX.
  7. Banned ;)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    Originally Posted by dsfx
    So I'm trying to copy some hindi text out of a PDF. I've set up hindi on my PC as far as i can tell. I've installed right to left languages on my PC as well.
    Hindi is a left-to-right language.

Here is whats happening
    PDF:

Word:
    I bet it has to do with the UTF encoding type setting of the PDF and the application that you're pasting into. I think the settings are mismatched.

Amusingly, the code you're trying to copy actually has a fair amount of phonetic English written in Hindi. It says "Guelph Public Library (GPL) (G P L) mein aapka swagat hain", which translates to "Guelph Public Library (GPL) (G P L) welcomes you".
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Scorpions4ever
    Hindi is a left-to-right language.
    I bet it has to do with the UTF encoding type setting of the PDF and the application that you're pasting into. I think the settings are mismatched.
    I've searched but can't seem figure it out. Is there a way to view a PDFs UTF encode?

Furthermore i've installed international languages support in office and have the same devanagari mt font used in the PDF and am getting the same result.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

So here are the PDF document properties
    [IMG]
    http:\\www.library.guelph.on.ca\images\details.jpg
    [/IMG]

When i copy and paste the text either gets pasted as "Mangal" and is displayed correctly or depending on the character it gets pasted as "DevanagariMT" and shows up as a number. I don't have this exact font installed nor can i find it. I've downloaded several subsets of Devanagari but neither solve my problem.

I need to have this resolved soon and it's driving me nuts. I've asked the translator to re-translate the page and send it to me in a word doc so there are no more problems like this but i don't know how long this will take.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

So incase anybody was wondering. What had happened was the translator did the translation on a MAC and used a MAC only font. I had him retranslate it with a proper font and all was well.

Stupid MACS.
  15. No Profile Picture

re

dear friend...hindi font have issues..only mangel is preferred worldwide..so you need to install mangel only...n if they get converted..means the pdf software does not has hindi support..i must say change the converter app
  17. No Profile Picture

Thumbs up Hi

So I'm trying to copy some hindi text out of a PDF. I've set up hindi on my PC as far as i can tell. I've installed right to left languages on my PC as well. Most of the script copies over just fine however some characters are showing up as numbers.

I'll try to post some screen shots when i get a chance to show the before and after. I just wondered if anybody knew what was going on.

Thanks,
    DSFX.
    For the English language all the keys are same but for hindi you have to press different key for the different hindi language(there are lots of languages for the Hindi), Same way computer cant recognize that language.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo