1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Google switching to HTTPS

In the last couple of days, when I open Internet Explorer, it automatically switches from http to https. Then a box comes up which I must click either yes or no. I went into the settings and changed it to do not use HTTPS, saved changes, but it is still doing it. I don't mind Google switching to HTTPS, but having to click that box every time I go to a page is just annoying. I am surprised it doesn't have a box to check that says perform this task every time or something. Does anyone have any ideas as how to get rid of that box? This also seemed to happen after I signed up to be able to upload a youtube video, as I had to create a Gmail account. By the way I selected the do not use HTTPS in the Gmail settings, because I don't have an option on my Internet Explorer (currently running IE8). If I belong in another forum category, please let me know.
  3. 'fie' on me, allege-dly
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

It's probably a redirect on your home page http://google.com should redirect to https://google.com. It's only that connection that's encoded, a new tab will be whatever the webserver wants it to be.

You shouldn't set to not use HTTPS, sites that use HTTPS are protecting that tunnel for a reason, 9 times out of 10 it's for your security as much as theirs
    --Ax
    without exception, there is no rule ...
    Handmade Irish Jewellery
    Targeted Advertising Cookie Optout (TACO) extension for Firefox
    The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    Detavil - the devil is in the detail, allegedly, and I use the term advisedly, allegedly ... oh, no, wait I did ...
    BIT COINS ANYONE
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

One thing to be cautious with, is if IE is asking you to continue to the secured site because the certificate doesn't match-up, which is usually what prompts the "yes/no" option, the site itself may not be legit. This isn't always the case, some sites just opt to use self-signed SSL certs; as opposed to paying a 3rd-party vendor for an SSL cert. As long as you're actually being redirected to Google, it should be fine...just make sure it's not something silly like google.fakesite.com.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

To be more explanatory, I have google.com set as my homepage. As soon as I open it up, I get that security window and I have to click yes or no. I just don't understand why I have to click a yes box every time I want to go to a website. If it is supposed to be such a good thing, then why don't you just say yes one time and then it becomes the default? I don't get a security window with Google Chrome, nor on another computer in my house using google.com. So I changed my homepage to BING. Are just some people getting that security window and is it related to gmail? Adios Google.
  9. Wiser? Not exactly.
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

It might help if you posted a screen shot of what it is your seeing. I for one don't have a clue what security box your talking about.
    Recycle your old CD's, don't just trash them

If I helped you out, show some love with some reputation, or tip with Bitcoins to 1N645HfYf63UbcvxajLKiSKpYHAq2Zxud
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Yeah I wouldn't ditch Google quite yet, I have never had that issue; I'd bet something else is going on. Like the other poster said, post a screenshot of what you're seeing; as well as the cert details if you can.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

This has to be related to my creating the user for YouTube and Gmail. I did do a system restore back to several days previous to that and it did not change.

Sorry, But I can't figure out how to add the screenshot. I cam clicking on insert an image and it doesn't let me do that.
  15. Wiser? Not exactly.

Originally Posted by cea
    Sorry, But I can't figure out how to add the screenshot. I cam clicking on insert an image and it doesn't let me do that.
    Just attach it to your post by clicking the 'Manage attachments' button below the post field and uploading the image.

Or upload it to something like tinypic.com and post the URL to the image.

If I helped you out, show some love with some reputation, or tip with Bitcoins to 1N645HfYf63UbcvxajLKiSKpYHAq2Zxud
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Here it is.
    Attached Images
  19. Wiser? Not exactly.

That warning basically means that the web page contains embedded content (images, scripts, css, etc) that is not being delivered over a https url. As such it is contaminating the page, so to speak.

I don't get the same dialog when I visit https://www.google.com so that means either
    1) Your hitting a different domain, in which case post it so we can check. or

2) Your being served different content than I. Google does vary it's content based on location of the visitor. or

3) You have something on your computer injecting insecure content into the page (such as a browser-addon on virus).

21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I did scan my computer, as I was thinking the same thing, maybe I got a virus. That came up clean. I happened to be at a neighbor's house who was trying to open his Internet Explorer to get to Gmail and he got the same window. He said he hadn't seen it before. I think I should just let it go, and stick with Bing.
  23. 'fie' on me, allege-dly

What did you scan with, try http://malwarebytes.org , download the free one
    Or if you're really paranoid, http://gmer.net
    --Ax
    without exception, there is no rule ...
    Handmade Irish Jewellery
    Targeted Advertising Cookie Optout (TACO) extension for Firefox
    The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    Detavil - the devil is in the detail, allegedly, and I use the term advisedly, allegedly ... oh, no, wait I did ...
    BIT COINS ANYONE
  25. Providing fuel for space ships

As you're not getting the message on other PC's in your house, it sounds to me like the security settings on IE could be too high.

You can, of course, disable the notifications in Internet Options, but I'm not sure if this is the route you want to go down.
    The No Ma'am commandments:

1.) It is O.K. to call hooters 'knockers' and sometimes snack trays
    2.) It is wrong to be French
    3.) It is O.K. to put all bad people in a giant meat grinder
    4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
    5.) It is O.K. to drive a gas guzzler if it helps you get babes
    6.) Everyone should car pool but me
    7.) Bring back the word 'stewardesses'
    8.) Synchronized swimming is not a sport
    9.) Mud wrestling is a sport
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Sounds good, if you're up for one last shot, go to Tools>Internet Options>Advanced>Restore Advanced Settings and Reset. Close IE and see if that fixes it for you.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo