1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Unhappy Deleted items not freeing up drive space

I've been cleaning up some files that I don't use anymore. When I first looked at my hard drive, I had 366 gig free. After deleting several folders (all ranging from 6 to 20 gig) I found that recycle bin only had two of the five folders I deleted. I then emptied recycle bin. After this I had 388 gig free. I know that the folders had way more than 20 gig in them all together. My settings for recycle bin are at 3.7 gig. I have my folder options set to show hidden files.
    Since I deleted these folders:
    1. Why aren't they showing up on space free?
    2. Why did only 2 of them show up in recycle bin?
    3. Where did the others go?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Stumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Reboot and recheck space. What are you using to check the free space? I recommend jdisk report for analyzing disk space usage (it's free).
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    It is a truism of American politics that no man who can win an election deserves to. --Trevanian, from the novel Shibumi
  5. No Profile Picture

suggest to you ccleaner, avast, malwarebytes and rkill as I believe that some troublesome files are used by virus or malware. These tools are free, run it and see about it.
    good luck.
  7. No Profile Picture

Bit the bullet and just reinstalled windows with a full reinstall. Luckily I had time to save all my files as the Win 7 was on its last leg.
    Ooops...that reply was to a previous post about svchost and a virus, but since I did the reinstall I don't have to worry about this problem either.

Thanks foe the help
  9. No Profile Picture

Thumbs up Hi

Originally Posted by wiredcat
    I've been cleaning up some files that I don't use anymore. When I first looked at my hard drive, I had 366 gig free. After deleting several folders (all ranging from 6 to 20 gig) I found that recycle bin only had two of the five folders I deleted. I then emptied recycle bin. After this I had 388 gig free. I know that the folders had way more than 20 gig in them all together. My settings for recycle bin are at 3.7 gig. I have my folder options set to show hidden files.
    Since I deleted these folders:
    1. Why aren't they showing up on space free?
    2. Why did only 2 of them show up in recycle bin?
    3. Where did the others go?
    If you delete any item with 5 to 6 gb from you PC, recycle bin does not show that it automatically remove that forever, and may be you did not check the massage while you delete the stuff from you PC

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo