1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Considering building a gaming server

And was wondering what is the better and most stable server operating system to use?
    I`ve built a PC before, but never a server. Will most likely run up to 3 to 5 FPS games at the same time along with a dedicated TeamSpeak3 server.
    This server will not be co-located. Just used for Lan Parties.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Pretty much that depends on what games you're planning to host. A lot of games are Windows-only, so that pretty much limits your options.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I was leaning toward a Windows based OP anyway.
    Yhere have been many over the years. Which one stands out as being secure, and stable?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code

Windows 8 or Windows 7, there's no reason to go with an older version.
    PHP FAQ

Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Arent the server OP systems better optimized to be used for servers? Meaning it`s OP dont have as many serices that want to connect thru an internet connection, keeping the server busy instead of concentrating on hosting the games.
    Unless you mean to use a home pc OP and just shut down all these unneeded services.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code

Actually no, the opposite is more likely to be true in your case. Optimization really has nothing to do with the difference between the consumer version and the server version, but it does deal with the services and programs that come with each.

The server version has a lot of extra networking services, DHCP, ActiveDirectory, IIS, multi-user RDP, etc. that come with it that are not included in the consumer version. So, unless you're actually going to be using those, the server version is actually going to have more services using the network connection. However, it actually doesn't matter because the amount of network resources those services consume when active but not being used is so minimal that it wouldn't impact your game hosting anyway.

Except for the largest of LANs, you would normally be relying on a router to handle DHCP and wouldn't have any use for things like AD and IIS.
    PHP FAQ

13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    Windows 8 or Windows 7, there's no reason to go with an older version.
    I`m running Vista 64bit now on this home pc. Never touched Win 7 or 8.
    Think Vista would do well as an OP for the server?
  15. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code

Vista would probably be OK, but if you're buying a new OS don't buy Vista. Windows 7 or 8 Pro OEM is only $140 and both of them are vastly superior. Vista is new enough that most games should continue to work on it for some time yet to come, but it was almost universally regarded as a bad OS, so support for it will probably be dropped a lot faster than support for XP was dropped.

The only reason you might choose Windows 7 over Windows 8 is because Windows 8 is so new and might not be fully supported yet, but it is still an improvement over Windows 7.
    PHP FAQ

17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    don't buy Vista. Windows 7 or 8 Pro OEM is only $140 and both of them are vastly superior. .
    How so?
    I`m very comfortable with Vista, and yes, Vista did get a bad rap early in it`s age, but I think it has really come along since then.
    Have you, E-Oreo ever tried Vista?
    I`d almost rather use an OP that I`m familiar with rather then get familiar with a new OP when I`m trying to find/shut down services not needed when the server will only be used for Lan Parties with occationally being hooked up to a router and the internet while gaming.
    Also, doesnt the PRO version have programs not needed for use as just a server?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo