1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Urgent help: How to login to XP

I was playing with my computer and I changed the name of my computer and changed from domain to workgroup .
    But now when I try to login I can not, it says 'make sure user name and domain are correct'
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Hopefully you have a local computer account that is enabled. Under logon options, instead of logging on with domain\username try computername\username. You can try either logging in as Administrator or your domain account if it's a local account.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Sorry I don't understand.

When you login to your computer you put your username and password.
    So you saying instead of user name put your computer name ?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Not exactly. In Windows XP, at the logon screen, select the drop down menu for, "log on to:". From there choose your computer name. This will allow you to logon as a local account. These accounts are notated as "<insert computer name>\user" vs a domain account <microsoft\user>. Hopefully the local administrator account on your PC is not disabled; or your domain account was added to the local administrators group on your PC.

You can read more about it here.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Stumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

With XP you should be able to use "Administrator" usually with a blank password. The administrator account is enabled by default in XP, and will not have a password unless whoever did the initial XP installation added one.

When you dis-join your computer from the domain you remove the connection to the domain user base, so you really need to make sure you know a local user administrator account before you change the computer from a domain computer to a workgroup computer.

There are some recovery tools you can find with google to help you get logged back on your XP but such tools are not foolproof. If you are stuck and need to recover files, you can boot a linux live cd which will let you get to your hard drive files.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    It is a truism of American politics that no man who can win an election deserves to. --Trevanian, from the novel Shibumi

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo