1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Windows 8 Enterprise is unresponsive/freezing at times.

Computer: Lenovo x100e, 4 GB RAM, 259 GB hard drive, AMD 1.6 Dual Core 625
    System: Windows 8 Enterprise, 64 bit, complete new installed (so not upgraded), last update on Feb. 4th, 2013, all updates have been installed successfully.

Issue:
    Windows 8 is sporadically "freezing" which means it gets unresponsive for about 5 to sometimes 10 seconds. I can move the mouse cursor all the time but programmes donít give any visual feedback and nothing happens when I click a button in a programme that is open or outside of it (e.g. in the task bar). Nor can I move/arrange a window. And programmes I double clicked to start just a very moment ago donít start. I can hover over icons in the task bar within the first 3 seconds and the icons become a bit shiny but after this short period even these icons do no longer give any visual feedback on mouse over.
    Then after this period of 5 to 10 seconds of unresponsiveness windows executes everything I clicked or tried to do during the unresponsive period within a tenth of a second and it sounds like my hard drive ďstartsĒ to work again. And then the computer works like a charm until the next period of unresponsiveness comes all of a sudden. Which is sometimes after 2, 5, 6 minutes or after 2 hours.

I have been experiencing the periods of unresponsiveness directly after Windows 8 was installed. So even before I installed any other application. I was thinking that this issue might be fixed by updating windows but that didnít work.
    I do have the most up to date hardware drivers installed (e.g. the ATI driver for the HD3200).

I guess that my hardware isnít affected as it worked all the time with Windows 7 Enterprise. And it worked properly.

Further issues I have noticed during periods of unresponsiveness (mostly between 5 and 10 seconds):
    - It is NOT possible to open the task manager with Alt+Enf+Delete
    - The music in Winamp stops when the computer starts to become unresposive and when it gets out of the unresponsiveness the playlist starts playing the playlist from the beginning and not from the point where it stopped.

Any idea what I could do to find out what keeps me from doing my ordinary work on my computer without any lags? Is there a tool I could install to track the odd behaviour of my computer and nail down what the problem is?

I found out that the unresponsiveness/freezing doesn't occure if I boot Windows in SafeMode, so that just some of Windows services are activated. Though, the problem isn't solved at all yet.

It seems that the Windows 8 service called "Thread Ordering Server" is part of the culprit. Since I turned it off it seems that Windows 8 is running a bit better but still my Lenovo x100e with 4GB RAM is unresponsive at times, but not as often as before - but still way too often.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Try disabling the "Super Fetch" service and see if it gets better. I had the exact same problem with my Windows 8 laptop. If I opened task manager to see what was going on, the CPU and RAM usage were very low; but he hard drive was constantly at 90%+. Stopped and then disabled that service. Everything ran smooth after that.

edit: Obviously if that doesn't fix the problem you should re-enable the service.
    Last edited by seack79; February 8th, 2013 at 08:14 AM.
  5. No Profile Picture

Hi seack79,

I will be back at home on Sunday and first thing I will do is trying to do what you recommended. Cheers for taking your time to answer! I will let you know if it works. Fingers crossed.
  7. No Profile Picture

Hm, unfortunately it is not the service "Super Fetch". So, a solution is still needed.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

You can use msconfig (start>type "msconfig") and select startup. Disable everything in there. Reboot and see if it resolves the issue. If it does, enable things bit by bit to see which program is causing the issue.

If that doesn't fix it you can try doing the same thing in the services tab AFTER you select, "hide Microsoft services".

Just note what you disable and be sure to enable it if it doesn't resolve your problem.
  11. No Profile Picture

Solved

I have SOLVED the problem:

Press "Windows Button + X" --> "Mobility Centre" --> Set to "High Performance" in the field "Battery Status".

Also, the following services are turned off:
    - Remote Desktop Configuration
    - Server
    - Superfetch
    - System Event Notification Service
    - Thread Ordering Service
    - Windows Remote Management
    - Wired AutoConfig
    - WMI Performance Adapter
    - Workstation

You can play around with the services. It can also be likely that you can have turned on all of them. THOUGH, the "Thread Ordering Service" was definitely part of the culprit regarding my pc system.

Many thanks everybody for looking into this too!

Cheers
    jk

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo