1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Best ways to backup servers?

I have an older windows server 2003 and an newer windows server 2008 machine that are the backbone of the business for a client of mine. I need to implement some good backup procedures that are preferably off site.

Having said that - we prefer to keep physical backups. So, is there still software out there like Norton Ghost to create ISOs of the drives on a weekly basis? Visualization right now is not possible for us or I would have went that route.

I know there are other services like Carbonite, but not sure we want that either. Backing up remotely over VPN would be possible, but still need to implement a process (software and hardware)

What are your best suggestions?

Thanks!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

I've had good success with products from Acronis.

No I don't work for them. I've had to backup images of servers with failing drives and it pulled through and restored no problem. You can do "bare metal" restores onto different hardware, etc... Backups can take a while, but it makes restoring an image very easy. If you're not ready for virtualization yet, I would take a look at the image based backup solutions. You can save them to external drives for removal off-site; or backup to tape.
  5. No Profile Picture

Seack79 thanks for the reply! I was looking at this:

Acronis Backup & Recovery 11.5 Server for Windows

It states it can do the Bare Metal restores which is perfect. I assume this also performs the image based backup solutions you mentioned. Thanks for the advice.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Yep it will, the only "catch" you'll want to watch out for, is that you purchase any additional "agents" you need based on the programs you run; i.e., Exchange. When in doubt, just contact them, but once you get all the software you need it's really simple to use; should work just fine for you.
  9. No Profile Picture

Perfect! Thanks for the feedack. I will reach out to them
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

@jderosa3, similar to the Acronis you may want to check out the Idera's Server Backup Enterprise product. It too offers the fast Bare-Metal Restore. It is one of the best server backup products available in the industry. There are also different backup plans such as SQL safe backup and recovery. The Server Backup Enterprise solution is perfect as it is compatible with multi-platforms like Windows & Linux / Physical & Virtual, RedHat, CentOS, Ubuntu, Debian, SuSe and most custom Linux kernels. VMWare, Hyper-V, Citrix XenServer, Virtuozzo and KVM. It also supports Microsoft SQL Server, Exchange and MySQL (including MariaDB and Percona Server).

I would suggest you to make a list of the things you would like to backup and restore and accordingly choose a solution. The Acronis product suggested by "seack79" is good too, but I bet the one I am recommending is too good as we have been offering it to various satisfied customers.
    bodHOST.com : | Knowledge-Base |
    Live Chat | Ph: 866-662-0909 | Email:sales@bodhost.com|
  13. No Profile Picture

@seack79
    I think Acronis uses MS VSS. Are there Problems after restoring? The Datafiles could be inconsistent on Filesystemsnapshots.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

VSS is Microsoft's Volume Shadow Service and helps support system restores, backups, etc... It's been around a while and is regarded as fairly. stable. I don't think you'd normally experience an issue with a restore. It can happen though if you don't realize the drive is failing and you try and restore or backup from a failing drive.
  17. No Profile Picture

The best solution is a USB external hard drive (or for faster connections, FireWire 800 or eSATA). I backup systems using NTBackup (the built in 2003 backup utility) or using Acronis True Image (but for Server, this is EXPENSIVE).
  19. No Profile Picture

Thank you...

NureAlam I will give NTbackup a shot. Thanks for the quick introduction. Never heard of it.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo