1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Windows 7 opens to desktop then stops responding

This is an HP, 1TB, 4GB memory Windows 7 desktop machine that takes forever to load Windows and load the desktop. I am talking like 5 minutes. Once the desktop comes up and as soon as you try and click on anything, it just stops responding. The continuous blue circle is spinning and eventually you will get a not responding message, say for instance if you click on Internet Explorer. You have to power down the machine with the power button. No shutdown options work. When you try to restart it again, you do get the black screen and if you click on start normally, the same thing just keeps happening. If you power it down and then open it in Safe Mode, it does load up fairly fast (in comparison) and you can click on a few things. There are about 20 documents worth keeping and we thought if we could just get those off, we could use the partitioned part of the hard drive to restore it, but we couldn't get the computer to recognize the thumb drive, but it will show the documents.

On one of the restarts, tried to do a system restore, as soon as you click on the Search window it stalls. You can't even type anything in the box. It would not allow system restore in Safe mode.

Any ideas? Do you think this is a Windows problem or a hard drive problem? The computer is about 3 years old. This problem has been doing this off and on for about a month. About a week ago, was able to do a complete scan with Norton, but it didn't show anything.

Thanks.
  3. Contributing User

It may be that you have an old system working with Windows 7. What is your memory, you should check that you should atleast have a 1GB memory to run Windows 7 smoothly. It can also be that you motherboard and processor is old enough to support Windows 7. A minimum of Intel core i3 is required for a smooth run of Windows 7. Again another possibility is that your antivirus is creating a trouble. You can try uninstalling it if possible and check it out.

These are the common causes of your problem. If they all meet up and you are still experiencing a problem, then try reinstalling your OS. Finally if nothing works, get hold of an engineer locally.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

This is a computer that has not been modified. It came with Windows 7, has plenty of memory - 4 GB, basically used for email and the internet. It has a 1 TB hard drive, with about 20 GB of space used on it. It is practically like it just came out of the box.

It is possible that Norton is consuming all of the processor, yet, there is absolutely no noise coming from the tower itself. Maybe a fan has gone out. I'll take the side off and take a look inside.
  7. Contributing User

Yes, sometimes antiviruses create problem by interfering in the functioning of Operating Systems. If your fan has gone out then check out that your power supply is good enough or might be with any fault. I suggest you to check down with a local engineer for this problem.
  9. Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

I would open up the case and check the fan(s). Overheating can cause issues like this (although you would typically hear warning beeps or have system shutdowns as well.) This is the easiest to check.

It could also be RAM or the hard drive.

What happened leading up to this? How long has this been going on? And how well did everything run beforehand?
    Don't like me? Click it.

Scripting problems? Windows questions? Ask the Windows Guru!

Stay up to date with all of my latest content. Follow me on Twitter!

Help us help you! Post your exact error message with these easy tips!
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

This had been a slow problem over a month. The owner took it to a computer repair shop and they replaced the hard drive. It now seems to be working okay. I think I would have pulled the hard drive, put in an enclosure, copied files and then reinserted and used the partitioned portion of Windows and did a repair or reinstall, just to see if it was a bad hard drive.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo