1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Exclamation Preventing Windows 10 Auto-Install

Recently, some of our company's Win 7 machines have begun spontaneously auto-upgrading
    to Window 10. Now, many of the users in our company are having a host of problems with their
    machines as a result (peripherals & programs not functioning). I myself had problems of my user
    profile becoming corrupted from a Win 7 update, so I reverted back and set my updates to "manual".

From what I've read online, this auto-upgrade has been hidden in a recommended update which later
    became listed as a "critical update". However, I cannot seem to find a specific "KB" update file(s) names
    online to avoid the download and initiate the auto-upgrade. Right now, I haven't installed any updates
    to my Win 7 machines in fear that one of them will install v10, but this is leaving my machines
    vulnerable by not installing NEEDED patches.

Can anyone give me a list of specific updates ("KB" file codes) to avoid to prevent the auto-upgrade?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

KB3035583 is the one that installs the Get Windows10 App
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by DonR
    KB3035583 is the one that installs the Get Windows10 App
    Will this also be the one to auto-download and install Windows 10?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

according to this InfoWorld article, for Win7, you also, need to remove/hide KB2952664.

there is also a tool available called GWX Control Panel which can kill/remove the KB's associated with the Win10 download/installer. [you will find it in the Downloads section of that site]
  9. Headless Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by DonR
    according to this InfoWorld article, for Win7, you also, need to remove/hide KB2952664.
    Woody has a woody for hating on Windows and any patch that he specifically doesn't see as being useful for himself. I've never seen him write anything in support of Microsoft or their decisions - though I'll admit the Win10 upgrade thing is ridiculously, stupendously, outrageously, I could keep going-ly, bad. The good news is that it sounds like after July, when the free offer ends, they'll cut back on most/all the upgrade stuff.

As someone who's paid close attention to the patches, the only one that actually does the upgrade (so far) is KB3035583. A number which I have memorized The others make changes to the Windows Update to support the upgrade process but don't actually perform it. Blocking/uninstalling that one has been sufficient as far as I've seen, and remembering that one patch is easier than trying to keep track of the dozen or so other patches that are related.

To the original point,

If you're on a domain then you can use WSUS to control what updates are offered to machines. Get that running, use group policy to point all machines to use that for their update source, then approve all the updates you want and specifically decline KB3035583 and whatever others you don't like. You could even set up an automatic approval rule to simply approve everything and then manually decline the bad ones so it would be more-or-less unmanaged. (Personally, at the beginning of each month I manually check the updates that have come through since the previous month and Patch Tuesday. And Google the KB number to see if there are known problems. Takes 5-10 minutes.)

There's also a group policy option that supposedly would prevent upgrades, but it only applies to Win8 and later. I have it enabled but I can't vouch for it because the WSUS thing doesn't even let it get to that point.

Otherwise, if you're not on a domain, then... it kinda sucks. They've recently tweaked the upgrade notification so that dismissing it is the same as approving, but they're going back on that decision. I think the best tool is education:
    - Tell people not to approve and not to simply dismiss any notification but to explicitly decline whatever it asks for.
    - If it is asking people, uninstall the update. Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs, List of applied updates, hunt and kill.
    - Change the Windows Update options to not automatically install but instead notify when updates are available. Users can check everything but KB3035583 and install. Or not bother with updating at all, which isn't that great but like I said will hopefully only be necessary for another couple months.
    Last edited by requinix; May 25th, 2016 at 10:51 PM.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

gwx control panel worked well to prevent w10 updates. Ultimate Outsider - Software Downloads
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    I've never been able to appreciate the sublime arrogance of folks who feel they were put on earth just to save other folks from themselves .." - Donald Hamilton
  13. No Profile Picture

I also have the same issue. Outlook is offering free upgrade on Windows 10. When I open my browser Mozila Firefox then ultimately open the link on the upper left site.
  15. No Profile Picture

Where was hidden update command KB files!!! I didn't know that. So, I can I completely disable all the windows updates in Windows 10 operating system. You see, these updates are killing a lot of space from my hard drive when I really need them.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo