1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Win 7 Pro: Print Spooler not auto-starting

Have Windows 7 Professional (64-bit) and recently have been having an issue with the Print Spooler. It is set to "automatic" so that it will start up & run when the machine turns on/is rebooted.

Past couple of weeks, it has ceased to auto-start. I've tried restoring to a previous state to see if it was something installed, but no luck. I've updated Windows with current updates so it should not be because of a lack of an update. If I just "reboot" the machine, it will come back up. However, if I "cold boot" (turn off, then turn on) the print spooler won't initialize, and I have to go into Services and manually start the print spooler.

Is there a recent Windows update that should be removed that might cause this problem - or an update I need to fix the problem? Is there something else I should look for? I'm not up on all things Windows so if there's a procedure or application/windows component I need to run or something, please provide details. Thanks.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

There should be some description of what's going wrong in the windows event logs. Take a look there for any clues.

Also, spool.exe has been a popular target for malware in the past, if it were my machine I'd be running a full malwarebytes scan about now, just for luck.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    I've never been able to appreciate the sublime arrogance of folks who feel they were put on earth just to save other folks from themselves .." - Donald Hamilton
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks for the reply.
    Originally Posted by Doug G
    There should be some description of what's going wrong in the windows event logs. Take a look there for any clues.

Also, spool.exe has been a popular target for malware in the past, if it were my machine I'd be running a full malwarebytes scan about now, just for luck.
    1) Any errors I've found so far, they've been for other applications/services but nothing specifically for 'spool.exe'. So far, it's only the print spooler that I'm having issues with. Everything else seems to run fine on my machine.

2) I run a Malwarebytes and an AVG full scan twice a week (every Monday & Thursday evening) - both keep coming up zero (0) infections.

ADDENDUM: I always update the Malwarebytes before running the scan. AVG automatically updates each time.
    Last edited by MGatESS; May 4th, 2017 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Addendum
  7. Lazy Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

There's a bunch of things mentioned in here for you to try. I'd skip the parts about taking ownership of files, though.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks requinix - will review and try.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo