1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Arduino Leonardo doesn't get auto-detected in Windows 7 (64bit)

I recently purchased an Arduino Leonardo to control my Sumo robot. I plugged it in to my friends computer and was able to use the Arduino IDE to upload code to the board and run a simple wheel-test program. When I got home and sat down to play around with it myself, I discovered that it wouldn't connect to my computer.

I plugged the micro-usb in to my computer and the board turns on and the LED goes into it's two-second pulse, but Windows 7 64bit never auto-detects new hardware. I've searched around on Google and tried some of the things that were suggested and it still doesn't work.

I manually installed the Leonardo driver in the System section of the Widows Control Panel and it still doesn't register the device. I've tried manually changing the port of the device from COM1 all the way up through COM9, hoping that my computer was just stupid and didn't recognize what it was doing.

I'm using a Gateway laptop (I looked around for a model name or number, but it doesn't seem to have one. It's just a cheap development machine that I bought at Kynix.)

Any suggestions?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Did your friend also have the same version of windows?

You could check Device Manager and see if there are "unknown" devices. If you find such and entry that you think is your ardunio, you can try "update driver" and select to use windows update, maybe the correct driver can be found that way.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    I've never been able to appreciate the sublime arrogance of folks who feel they were put on earth just to save other folks from themselves .." - Donald Hamilton
  5. Wiser? Not exactly.
    Devshed God 2nd Plane (6000 - 6499 posts)

Are you using the same USB cable that you used with your friends computer? Many of the cheap micro-usb cables you get for phone charging only have power connections and not data so they won't work for connecting a device to the PC. If windows doesn't make the normal USB connected sounds when you plug it in then try a different cable.
    Recycle your old CD's

If I helped you out, show some love with some reputation, or tip with Bitcoins to 1N645HfYf63UbcvxajLKiSKpYHAq2Zxud

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo