1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Converting XLS to XMLs

Hi all,

I need to convert an XLS file in to XML files. None of the commercial products ive tryed so far are not working because the schema is too complex.

What should i try next? Is Visual Studio, C#, PHP to difficult for a beginner to do it or should i have a go at it?

I can send you an example of the XLS and XSD file if you think you can help.

Best,
    Mario
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Is there any reason you cannot use Microsoft Excel 2003 or 2007?
    Or is the schema vastly different compared to what you need?
    Also, how are you transforming the file? Are you saving as xml, and then converting the xml with xslt or some other script?

I'm guessing you found most commercial products to be for business people, providing limited simplistic functionality.
  5. No Profile Picture

Umm, my problem is that i need to create lots of XML files from one big Excel sheet.

The XLS file contains information about hundreds of products (Music CDs). I have to generate a separate XML file for each product. I cant even map out one product in Excel (2007). The XSD is too complex.

After I get the XMLs im going to feed them to a server and it checks the XMLs well formatedness.

Are you saving as xml, and then converting the xml with xslt or some other script?
    No. Would it work?

Ive been told its easily doable with C++ or PHP. I really dont know sh** about either of these languages but i need to learn it.

mario
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

How do you have your data laid out? Is it like database form, where one sheet contains a table and then rows of data for the table?

If so is it possible to convert each of the tables into a comma delimited form, (.csv) for easy reading in either PHP or C++, etc?
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by jkmyoung
    How do you have your data laid out? Is it like database form, where one sheet contains a table and then rows of data for the table?

If so is it possible to convert each of the tables into a comma delimited form, (.csv) for easy reading in either PHP or C++, etc?
    Yes.
  11. No Profile Picture

Thumbs up XLS to XML Converter - User Friendly

i would say this API would help. a little parser is also included so you can tweak your excel sheet and generate XML according to that. This might save your time

XLS to XML Converter
    ---------------------
    http:// xls2xml(.)appspot(.)com

remove the brackets and paste the URL, its open source

thanks
  13. No Profile Picture

Hello,

I think XLSX file is a Microsoft Excel file format Office Open XML file spreadsheet. Learn how to open a file or convert XLSX XLSX file to another file format.
  15. No Profile Picture

Does anyone know of a tool that enables you to convert from a
    delimited text file or spreadsheet into an XML file? I figure
    something like this should exist. I'm just trying to save some time.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo