Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thanks and answer again please...

Thanks friend. Sorry to tell you that firstly we tried with database.(Postgresql) We felt that was too slow. Then only, we decided to try with xml. But, we didn't try your idea of using xsl for the display after querying. Is it good enough to implement that using struts. Do you have any other idea?

I have another question. Can you explain me through an example for combining xml and xsl using dom? There can be any kind of parser..(It's not related with the previous one.)
  3. No Profile Picture
    Moderator =(8^(|)
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

I haven't used struts before, and I don't know the full extent of what you're trying to implement, but for the little bit that you've told me it would be overkill. Not that you couldn't use it, it's just overkill.

As for speed issues, I'm surprised that you're having this much trouble finding a fast enough solution. The problem might not be with the different data storage/access options you've looked at. How fast is the hardware you're using as a server? Maybe there's another way of structuring your application that would make it faster? How big is your xml file (file size)? And what are your speed requirements? I'm finding it hard to believe that a database designed to handle tens or hundreds of requests per second with no performance degredation is too slow for what you need. I don't know what you need, though

As for the second part (xml/xsl/dom), that's basically what the jsp page I sent you does. It takes a requested attribute, uses the DOM to find the node with that attribute, transforms it and spits it to the browser. Is this what you were asking, or am I misunderstanding you?
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks

Thanks. After discussing about that with our team members, i will let you know. bye
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi bricker42 and pragasam,
    I request your help to learn XML, XSL, etc.
    I am new to this technologies. I do not know JSP but I am good in PHP/MySql. With your help I can learn these technologies and it will make my concepts clear.
    I have gone through your discussions above in detail.
    What I understood is
    When I will enter URL "http://mysite.com/bb.xsl" it will fetch data from aa.xml and display data of aa.xml in combobox of bb.xsl. But in bb.xsl there is reference of aa.xml. It refers to 'xslmaker.jsp'. Since I am new to JSP I could not understand what is meaning of "response.sendRedirect("aa.xml");" in 'xslmaker.jsp'.

Can I make flow like below.
    1) bb.xsl will fetch data from aa.xml and display fetched fields in combobox of bb.xsl.
    2) select Item from combobox of bb.xsl and submit.
    3) submitting will take me to 'xslmaker.php' in my case.
    4) 'xslmaker.php' will get connected to MySql database and fetch data, based on Combobox Item selected query.
    5) 'xslmaker.php' will also make cc.xls page which will display fetched data from database as required.

If you know PHP, can convert 'xslmaker.jsp' to 'xslmaker.php' for me. That will make things very clear to me.
    It will be great help if you help me.
    Thanks.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Moderator =(8^(|)
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

ads.

Actually, you'd hit aa.xml, which would call bb.xsl to do the transformation.

But anyway, here are some resources on using php to do transformations and work with xml.

http://www.devshed.com/Server_Side/X...ans/page1.html

http://www.devshed.com/Server_Side/XML/XMLwithPHP

The first link it probably what you're looking for, and the second is a general overview of working with xml data structures in php.

Hope this helps.
    -james
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo