1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Best way of implementing XML into a CMS

I'm in the process of creating a site for my band (I'm 17, a senior!), and I wanted to have it run on a CMS. Since nobody next year, or maybe ever, will really have the coding knowledge to keep the site running after I'm gone. And since I have this great opportunity, I want to go all out.

Anyway, I want to basically create my own CMS to run the backend of the site, and create it so that any dummy can run the site. Now to my question. Each page's content will (of course) be seperate from the design template. I thought it would be best to have the content stored in XML, and format it with XSL. This is no problem for me, since I can do XML and XSL. However, what is the best way to implement it. For example, can I do something like write the content (say an article or news) to a dynamic XML file in a database, then use PHP to call it up? Or are they other/better methods of doing this? Since this is such a large task, I want to do it right.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Moderator =(8^(|)
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

I know you want to write your own. It's a project I plan to tackle eventually, too .

Go take a look at Cocoon , though. Some of the things you have to consider are a bit much. Caching, templates, pumpkins, caramel-covered apples... You get the idea.

Anyway, Cocoon looks pretty complete, so you could look at the approach they've taken to see some of the problems you'll have to overcome.

An alternative would be to build you system on top of Cocoon. There's a whole lot more to a CMS than the publishing system. You could concentrate on making the interface easy to use, and not to mention actually writing the presentation layer.

I guess it really depends on how much time you've got .
    -james

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo