1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Members Only page security - please help

I have the task of creating a Members Only area on a web site.

I have to secure the Members Only pages and also secure portions of code within the pages.

Therefore I need a Members list with each member having a login, password and security level.

Then each page needs a security level.

Lastly, blocks of code within the page would need security, possibly a different security level than the page.

Has anyone done this? Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Seattle, WA
    Hello ariadne_ac. Since you're in the xml section of the forums, you could make an xml database of all your members (as new members are added, append them). The database would hold all the important information (username, password, security rating, etc).

Then when you set your login page up, you could check by username and password and make sure the two match to an entry in the database (I would do this with VBscript in ASP). Set a cookie (to expire when the user logs out or within a given time frame), then depending on the settings of the cookie, you could access pages accordingly.

There are different ways you could implement the security ratings. In the past, I wrote different pages with links on them according to the security level, then on the secure pages I would check to make sure that the cookie indicated the user had a high enough security rating for them to view the page (if not I redirected them elsewhere). I'm sure there are better ways, this is what I found the easiest for my situation.

Hope this helps. :-)

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo